MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #3271
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

hope you get overhead down......the last location sold out every day too

Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #3272
GLOCKer
On the road to being a farker

As for portion control, have you considered maybe using some kind of "form"? For instance; a large cookie cutter you could plunk down in the middle of a tray, fill with whatever meat, and then remove from the tray leaving the perfectly portioned meat. Just an idea that I think would be super fast!
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #3273
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

PM me if you want me to send you a genuine Louisiana License Plate. Any other Brethren with old plates from around the world could send some too. That's what we find in the better BBQ and Cajun joints around here. Almost like a badge....

Just a suggestion.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #3274
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

You know, I never posted any photos really of the new location so that you guys who aren't local can see what we're working with. So, here's what The Pig II looks like.

Here's the smoker out back. We had to build that platform so that the smoker could be right out the back kitchen door. Never seen a southern pride up in the air like that before!

Here's the dining room. Still waiting on some custom decor to be delivered and our bar should be finished in about a week. Seats around 54.

The incredibly small service kitchen. It's literally what you see there. One 6 ring range, a single fryer, steam table, and reach in cooler/meat station. Behind the meat station there are two CVAP holding boxes for all the BBQ. It's quite a dance on busy days when there are 3 or 4 of us in that tiny space

Down in the basement is where most of our renovations were done. It was a completely unfinished basement but we made a decent sized prep area which is where all the butchering is done and bulk side prep is done.

Here's dry storage, which we weren't required to finish that part of the basement.

And finally, this is the back room of the basement, about 150 square feet. We just started the renovations for this room and we are going to finish it to work as a catering kitchen.We've got some equipment already moved in there like two more Winston CVAP boxes, a small steam table, and we're getting an oven installed and some more sinks. As you can guess from the picture of our kitchen above, imagine trying to feed a full dining room and push out catering for 100+ at the same time. Damn near impossible.

We are also putting in a second walk-in cooler downstairs as well for extra capacity and holding kegs for draft beer that's coming in a few weeks.

All in all, we're now north of $100k in the equipment and renovations. Slightly above initial budget, but we didn't anticipate needing to buy more equipment and finish so much of the basement so soon.

Hopefully this proves helpful for some of you and any questions feel free to fire away!

Last edited by marubozo; 11-17-2019 at 01:57 PM..
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #3275
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Can't see any pics?

Old 11-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #3276
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

The pictures don't seem to be coming through.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #3277
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Well crap. Google photos sucks. I'll upload elsewhere and relink hold on.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #3278
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hopefully it's working now?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #3279
gtr

Yup! I'm seeing, among other things, a very full dining room - there ya go man!

Thanks for keeping us updated on your doin's. This is absolutley one of the great and classic threads on this site. One thing I have learned - I am waaaay too farkin lazy to do what you're doing! Your drive and work ethic are highly commendable - that kinda thing is what makes the world go 'round!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #3280
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Works for me, thanks for the effort of posting all of this!
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #3281
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Yup! I'm seeing, among other things, a very full dining room - there ya go man!

Thanks for keeping us updated on your doin's. This is absolutley one of the great and classic threads on this site. One thing I have learned - I am waaaay too farkin lazy to do what you're doing! Your drive and work ethic are highly commendable - that kinda thing is what makes the world go 'round!
Thanks. Hard work it certainly is. I've got my work week down to about 70 hours now. I know that may still seem like a lot, but compared to the 90 or so it took during the first month, it almost feels easy lol. I'm hoping that after the holidays I can settle into a bit more of a routine and regain some sort of semblance of a work/life balance.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #3282
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Working. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #3283
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Great pics. Really enjoying seeing the fruits of your dedication and hard work.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #3284
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Congrats on your new digs and I hope you get all the business that you want/can handle.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #3285
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Sometimes I doubt guys who claim to work 70-80 hours a week. Especially in "office" type work.

But I don't doubt it one bit here. Glad it is working out for you.