MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #1921
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
My wife and I will be there on Saturday for lunch... celebrating our anniversary in Harbor Country, but making a slight detour to support another brother. Looking forward to seeing you then! If you have an adult medium t-shirt, I'll take one!
I think I've got a shirt for you. And make sure you find me. I try to touch base with every customer, but when it gets busy that isn't always possible. But I'll hook you up.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 AM   #1922
MisplacedTexan
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! What a ride! Just finished reading through all of this (took me three days). Thanks for sharing your story Marubozo! I look forward to additional updates.

My wife has family in Kalamazoo and if we make it up there when we cross the pond for the Christmas holidays, we will definitely try to swing by for a vist!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #1923
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'll do that! Thanks! We are looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I think I've got a shirt for you. And make sure you find me. I try to touch base with every customer, but when it gets busy that isn't always possible. But I'll hook you up.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #1924
batboy
Got Wood.

Any idea when/if shirts will be available for the public? I've never visited your establishment and have no idea if I will ever make it out to Michigan, but I would gladly wear (and pay for) a 2XL.
batboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #1925
NukeDad
Found some matches.

Quote:
Unfortunately I had to fire my Kate upton connection.

But tomorrow, well, later today I guess, is a new chapter. Two people are getting promoted an for the first time, somebody else is getting keys to the building. Being such a control freak this is probably the most difficult decision I've ever made. He'll, my wife doesn't even have keys to the restaurant. But once this is done I will have so much potential freedom to take care of other things that it can only be a big help.

Speaking of stress, I'll let you in on a little secret. The back of the house is fully stocked with six nerf guns and at least 100 darts. Before we open, after we close, or just taking a break outside, an impromptu nerf war puts everyone in a good mood. If you can't have fun at the place you spend the majority of your life, then you're destined to be miserable. Life is too short for that nonsense.
I used to take my servers into the walk-in, give them a shot glass of chocolate milkshake and make them scream at the top of their lungs 2 or 3 times. It did wonders for mid-shift stress relief. I like the nerf gun idea too.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #1926
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy View Post
Any idea when/if shirts will be available for the public? I've never visited your establishment and have no idea if I will ever make it out to Michigan, but I would gladly wear (and pay for) a 2XL.
I can sell a few now, in most sizes. But just don't have enough to unleash to the mass internets. But pm me and we might be able to work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeDad View Post
I used to take my servers into the walk-in, give them a shot glass of chocolate milkshake and make them scream at the top of their lungs 2 or 3 times. It did wonders for mid-shift stress relief. I like the nerf gun idea too.
Oh yeah, the walk-in is my friend. I escape to that a few times a day. Either to scream, cool down, or just get away. I need to so that my gordon ramsay doesn't come out. When I start throwing stuff, you know it's going to be a bad night

Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #1927
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Oh yeah, the walk-in is my friend. I escape to that a few times a day. Either to scream, cool down, or just get away. I need to so that my gordon ramsay doesn't come out. When I start throwing stuff, you know it's going to be a bad night

Wow, and I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that. Good to hear things are still going strong.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #1928
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Wow, and I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that. Good to hear things are still going strong.
I've never been one to have a temper and most people have always been amazed at how calm and patient I am. But I'll tell you what, when you begin to see repeated stupid mistakes that people are making that negatively impacts you and your livelihood, it doesn't take much to transform into a raging ahole.

Still considering hanging a heavy bag out in the storage shed.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #1929
Toni1948
On the road to being a farker

Your thread is inspiring, and I joined this forum because of it. You really should be published. I'll never own a restaurant, but your journey is an excellent read, and an education for many of us.

Many principles and lessons you've learned can be applied to other types of businesses. Thank you for sharing.

Take time to smell the flowers.
Toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #1930
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1948 View Post
Your thread is inspiring, and I joined this forum because of it. You really should be published. I'll never own a restaurant, but your journey is an excellent read, and an education for many of us.

Many principles and lessons you've learned can be applied to other types of businesses. Thank you for sharing.

Take time to smell the flowers.
Thanks. It is a bit ironic, but before jumping into this my profession was as a writer. Maybe some day I can turn this experience into a book or other educational material.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #1931
Toni1948
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Thanks. It is a bit ironic, but before jumping into this my profession was as a writer. Maybe some day I can turn this experience into a book or other educational material.
If you just record it, and transcribe it at another time, it would help. This thread is gold!! There have been times in my profession where I was so busy reacting to situations, and being overcome by events, that I didn't have time to think about how to do a better job.

I hope you have time. There are so many people, who are cheering for you to succeed. I'm praying for you.
Toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #1932
smokinbutts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I have mentioned this previous in the thread and I really think you should!

This is an awesome story although there were some downs you kept your head up and kept going. It should be in every non-chain restaurant so when it gets tough they can read your challenges and get back into it!

smokinbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #1933
insaneh
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I've never been one to have a temper and most people have always been amazed at how calm and patient I am. But I'll tell you what, when you begin to see repeated stupid mistakes that people are making that negatively impacts you and your livelihood, it doesn't take much to transform into a raging ahole.

Going through a bout of that now at my machine shop. It's not easy controlling your temper in the face of blatant stupidity.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #1934
crb478
Full Fledged Farker

Exclamation

Quote:

You can't fix stupid All you can do is figure out if they have other strengths and play to those, or replace them with more qualified people. The right group of workers will take pressure off you and make you look better at the same time.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #1935
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Some would say your story is documented here, but I have seen issues where a forum looses it's posts (not here). I would suggest getting a copy downloaded so that you have a back up in case the unthinkable happens...

It would make a great book...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote