MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 AM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Lightbulb New Years Spare Rib Experiment - w/ Pr0N

Fired up a rack of St Louis Spares over hickory with the intention of having a head-to-head competition between our homemade mustard sauce vs. Bone Suckin' Mustard sauce. After I made a small batch of our stuff, based loosely on Tidewater Thin (Thanks to Viking72!), I cracked open a jar of the Bone Suckin' Mustard only to discover that it tastes like sweet pickles. Uhm, no thank you.

Thanks to NCGrimbo, I hit the ribs with some Carolina Table Salt Rub (nice, basic flavor that doesn't move the ribs in any one direction more than others) and let 'em ride on the 2-0.75-0.5 timetable over hickory at about 250-275F. I foiled them and add some apple juice during the middle interval before firming them back up.

Once firmed up, I cut the rack in half to complete my new plan of action:
a North Carolina (Cackalaky Cheerwine glaze)

vs. South Carolina (Wicken Yanks Guerrilla Gold sauce)

competition.

After 10 minutes to set the first coat, I applied another and let 'em sit for 5 minutes longer before pulling.

Momma's collard greens and baked beans are almost ready, so the bones are resting in a 150F oven just to stay warm. We'll be ready to chow down in a few minutes and I'll have some more pRoN for you along with the results of this highly scientific experiment.

Last edited by ShadowDriver; 01-01-2016 at 04:07 AM..
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
ShadowDriver

I can highly recommend the Cheerwine Sauce (as a glaze) on ribs. This is my second attempt at this, and it works very well. Barbecue and Cheerwine were meant for each other. It adds a really nice black cherry sweetness to the ribs and deepens the flavor.

I'm usually not a fan of mustard sauce on ribs (fan of a thin mustard sauce on pulled pork). That said, our thicker spicy mustard sauce works pretty well over top of the ribs, but doesn't add any additional sweetness. Big boost in depth of flavor here... but the aesthetics aren't as nice as the Cheerwine.

Mrs Shadow's collard greens and baked beans were off the hook. Collards have been in the slow cooker for the past 7 hours with onion, garlic, and a ham hock that she shredded before serving.

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek. This isn't our traditional New Year's Day dinner, but it sure was an enjoyable alternative.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #3
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Shadow looks good and thanks for the side by side comparison. I think the greens and beans stole the show though.
Jesse
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

It all looks great from here!

KC

Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
viking72
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice ribs! Happy New Year from Mollusk Va.
Stay safe as you can.

Later,
Doug

Old 01-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I can highly recommend the Cheerwine Sauce (as a glaze) on ribs. This is my second attempt at this, and it works very well. Barbecue and Cheerwine were meant for each other. It adds a really nice black cherry sweetness to the ribs and deepens the flavor.

I'm usually not a fan of mustard sauce on ribs (fan of a thin mustard sauce on pulled pork). That said, our thicker spicy mustard sauce works pretty well over top of the ribs, but doesn't add any additional sweetness. Big boost in depth of flavor here... but the aesthetics aren't as nice as the Cheerwine.

Mrs Shadow's collard greens and baked beans were off the hook. Collards have been in the slow cooker for the past 7 hours with onion, garlic, and a ham hock that she shredded before serving.

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek. This isn't our traditional New Year's Day dinner, but it sure was an enjoyable alternative.
Ribs is ribs and I know they were real good. That said though I'm with you on the collards. Those greens look to be way off the hook.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Fine looking plate of food and thanks for the reviews.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
wango
On the road to being a farker

Looks great to me Shadow, I'd hit it!

Old 01-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
IamMadMan

Shadow,

Awesome plate of southern comfort food there....... And I really like the review with the side by side comparisons... Great job.

I hope you have a very Happy and Prosperous New Year as well...
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good. I see your bringing the new year in right.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Ribs is ribs and I know they were real good. That said though I'm with you on the collards. Those greens look to be way off the hook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbears BBQ View Post
I think the greens and beans stole the show though.
As per usual, there's only so much I can do on the smoker to "wow" a guest.

Luckily, a little while ago, my Mom kicked me a recipe for collards that take the cake (and saying that they're better than my late grandmother's collards is saying something). DixieCollardGreens.pdf (Hope the attachment works... first attempt at this).

Mrs. Shadow's beans have been the true star of the show since I first attempted to make barbecue at home.

Thanks for the kind words. Give that collard recipe a try.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The whole plate looks awesome. I'm liking the ribs both ways. Very nice!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
As per usual, there's only so much I can do on the smoker to "wow" a guest.

Luckily, a little while ago, my Mom kicked me a recipe for collards that take the cake (and saying that they're better than my late grandmother's collards is saying something). Attachment 120569 (Hope the attachment works... first attempt at this).

Mrs. Shadow's beans have been the true star of the show since I first attempted to make barbecue at home.

Thanks for the kind words. Give that collard recipe a try.
Got the collard greens recipe downloaded. Now, I want Mrs. Shadow's baked bean recipe. PLEASE?
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Nice job on those and thanks for the review!
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #15
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
Got the collard greens recipe downloaded. Now, I want Mrs. Shadow's baked bean recipe. PLEASE?
I managed to pry this out of her, but I can't get her to be more specific.

- Start with Can of Bush's Maple Bacon Baked Beans
Add the following ingredients to the beans as they heat on the stove.
Ketchup
Mustard
Maple Syrup/Brown Sugar/Molasses (whatever you have that's generally dark and sweet)
Worcestershire Sauce
Minced Garlic
Minced or Finely Chopped Onion
About 1 Tbsp of whatever Dry Rub you're using on your 'cue for the day.

Hope that'll help give some ideas.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Cackalaky, Cheerwine, mustard, spare ribs