MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Do whatever you can regarding the dealer, and maybe even write a letter to the BBB.

But, when in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

Might also take some jewelry to return the favor on her birthday.
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
You have all the gear, plus the reciept. I would take it all back to the dealer for a full refund and take your business somewhere else. Get the $400 cheaper price, take the $400 you saved and buy a bunch of meat and rubs. Throw a party in honor of "Your GF of the Year". Win-Win and girlfriend never knows.
^^^^^^What he said, win, win!!!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post

I would go back to the guy and have a discussion but I wouldn't say a word to the GF.
^^^^ This! Marty is right. Say nothing to your girlfriend and just let her know she is amazing and you love the gift!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

On the fence as to whether I'd go back and confront the store owner or not. I do know that paid only a little more than that for my XL, got everything you did, and got a plate setter too. I think he really took advantage of your GF.

What I do know is this... If I did do something, I would not do it behind your GF's back, even with the best of intentions. Sooner or later she'll find out. She'll go back to the original store to buy another gift, she'll see a receipt, who knows... If you can't be straight up with her about whatever you decide to do, then personally, I'd probably not do it.

Last edited by SmokeFan; 03-08-2012 at 08:16 AM..
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
eggzlot
Take a breath!

I agree with the "smile and keep quiet" camp. I know my GF wouldn't be happy if I went price shopping/matching for my gifts.

On the flip side, I am not sure she even got ripped off. The newer BGE models went up in price (including stainless steel grates, newer dome thermometer, etc). I believe a Large is around $850 list, no? The nest is usually about $100-$120 or so, so right there you are at almost $1000. The shelves are usually around $65, BGE lump is over priced but it is $25 or so a bag. The ash pan itself lists for about $25, etc.

Once you add up all of these, it seems like she paid about list/retail. Do some dealers give a deal, yeah usually on the accessories I think. I got my egg for list price and any accessories I got day of purchase I think were like 15% off.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Enjoy your egg and quit second guessing things.

Let your GF know she bought you the best present ever.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I called the mothership...gave them the whole run down, and I'm a little more at ease. Problem is so many local dealers have been sitting on models forever that they advertise the same set up significantly discounted.

As far as mis matched serial numbers go, they also put out some fire. Mis matching serials are not only common, it's almost impossible to get a match set because they are not manufactured as a 1 piece unit.

I just hated the feeling of her getting taken advantage of. She self admitted it was a little over what she wanted to lay out in the first place, but knew how happy id be.

If I did in fact find it at a cheaper price I would have been honest with her, but the price shopping will stop now, and i'll just keep on cooking!!!

Thanks for all the help guys and girls, keep smokin!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
My opinion.....be honest!

If she got taken, deal with that privately with the dealer. If you've used it and can't return it you may be up chit creek, but if he's a reputable dealer it shouldn't matter. Call em out on it. I'd find the better deal, get it in writing and take that to the place she bought it.

If your GF is gonna get pissed because you're trying to be honest with her and look out for her money and best interest, then you've got another problem. If your relationship works better when you're deceiving each other, you've got a much bigger problem in the future.

I'd handle it first, then bring the solution and results to her. If she's in it for the long haul then she'll appreciate the whole thing.

My $0.02

Either way.....congrats on the birthday gift!
\
Totally agree
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

I think that price is definitely a little steep. However, I think you should just thank your girlfriend again and not say anything or make a big deal of it. You don’t want her to feel bad. Take her out to a nice dinner or better yet, make her one on your new BGE to show your appreciation.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it was me, I would smile and keep it. It was a gift, and if you hadn't seen the receipt, you would still be happy and wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Even if you get the money back, and she seems fine with it...this will always eat at her in some way. There is no way this won't eat at her, even if it's because she blames herself for getting ripped off.

Just my opinion.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, big green egg