Transport cooked whole hog

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I typically do whole hogs on site. I have a gig coming up in a few weeks where I would like to cook off site and transport the whole hog to the party after it is cooked. Any idea how I can do this with keeping the pig's juices from running all over? Is there some kind of food grade tray with sides I could buy? Thanks in advance.

Just a thought, some rental places rent those long low grills for doing dogs and burgers. The lower section is usually a stainless 4 or 5 inch sided pan. Might work to hold a pig all together for transport....foil the top?

Maybe the rental is the way to go. It will be about a 140 lb hog so the cooler idea won't work I think. I have an aluminum sheet that it will be on, it just doesn't have a lip around it the entire way, so juices are going to flow out. How do most caterers serve whole hog indoors without juices all over? Maybe some type of tray for serving is available?

Last edited:
Lots of trays out there (Google is your friend), but for a quick fix maybe a refrigerator cardboard box (or whatever size will work), unfolded, shaped to leave a lip, sprayed with either the Rustoleum elastic stuff or the new "never wet". I'd probably then cover that with aluminum foil.

Dw, I never thought of using wood. Great suggestion. Thanks everyne, I think I have a plan to move forward.

Attributes:
Drip Pan Dimensions : 47" L x 25" W x 1/2" H
Drip Pan Material : Galvanized Sheet Metal
Drip Pan Shape : Rectangle

Galvanized sheet metal is toxic when heated, probably not the best way to transport hot food if he wants to stay in business.

Back