UDS Drum Liner Question

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have finally (I think) found a source for drums in my area. My question is whether there is a difference between the red liner and a creamy white liner. I have read a lot about the dreaded red liner but I do not recall anything about any other color liners. The guy has red and cream colored lined drums for $10 a piece. He said they were all used for honey. I was just wondering what everyone had to say. Thanks

My drum had a creamy color lining to it. It was used for apple juice (concentrate?). Either way, it was burned out very nicely when I used a weed burner on the outside. Took me about 30 minutes to clean the outside (and inside) of all paint and lining stuff.

wallace

Mine had a off white liner, it had corn syrup in it, burned out real easy with one hardwood pallet cut into three sections. Heard nothing but nightmare stories about the dreaded red liner.

Check into sand blasting as well. If you can get it done in that $25 or so range probably well worth it.

brickie

Check into sand blasting as well. If you can get it done in that $25 or so range probably well worth it.

brickie

I though about that, but everyone around me wants a minimum of $40 to do anything. I had a small (about 18inches wide) axle that I am using on my smoker build, and they wanted $40 to do that. So I have pretty much given up on sandblasting companies.

I have no experiance using it but I have heard of using Easy Off oven cleaner for the red liners. It is supposed to melt it away very quickly and just wipe it off. If you try the Easy Off let me know how it goes cause I am in process of making my 1st UDS and having a hard time finding one without liners here.

I though about that, but everyone around me wants a minimum of $40 to do anything. I had a small (about 18inches wide) axle that I am using on my smoker build, and they wanted $40 to do that. So I have pretty much given up on sandblasting companies.

How much are you going to pay for the barrel? If the barrels are free then $40 is still probably worth the hassle of dealing with the liner.

Got a friend with a new sand blaster.. we did 4 barels in about 30 min.. it took that long because the dang thing kept getting clogged.
Sand blaster is the way to go! about 10 min a barel

Back