Chicken drumsticks?

S

Smokin Okole

I didn't find anything on chicken drumsticks in the roadmap and I spent about 15 minutes or so searching through old posts in the forum, but didn't really find anything that helped.

I've got a dozen drumsticks to try on a rack I was given, but I've never smoked them before. Any idea how long they should take to cook? I plan on throwing them in with some BB ribs and a couple of steaks.

Also, the skin will likely be rubbery (from what I'm reading in here). Any suggestions on how to limit this?

Thanks!

higher temps will eliminate the skin problem. Brine them over night will make them tasty and juicy. THere should be lots of brine info in the threads.

Try olive oil with a good amount of crushed rosemary, and black pepper. Let marinate for two or three hours. Smoke at 225* for three to four hours, try as is, or crisp up on chargrill.

Also, you might check out "chicken lollipops" in your search.

thanks....yeah, i know about brining and i did find the lollipops amusing

Ask Militant Squatter.....He cooks drumsticks in competition.

I have turned in Drummys for comp and we rub the skin with some conola and sprkinle you favourite seasoning(s) Paprika and chicken are a match made in heaven. THis makes the skin somewhat crisp but it still adheres to the drum.
we start them on the Weber for about a total of 20 minutes on medium heat, then we smoke them above 220 until a sacrificial leg runs clear at the bone. Nice thing about finishing with the smoke is you cannot overcook them since the cooking temp is just over the final target temp. Brush them maybe 2 times all the way around let the sauce set up, and get your bib on for some 2 fisted eating

We brine ours for 4 hrs (lots of goodies in the brine but the basics of fluid, salt, sugar with some cut fruit,garlic,spices etc. ) then rinse in a bag of water for one hour before rubbing. We pull the skin down to add rub directly on meat, then pull skin back up to add seasoning to skin too.

We smoke on the upper grates a little hotter than the lower grates closer to the firebox. Probably 250-275 deg. Takes about 2+ hours. We take them up to 185... The darker meat can handle the higher internal meat temp and gets the skin somewhat crispy.
I wasn't too concerned about crispy skin for the contest as almost everyone takes the first bite out of a drumstick toward the top where the skin does not cover.

We got 12th out of 40 for a first time entry. We were happy with it.

Good luck !!!

Try a fine sprinking of cornflour mixed in with your rub and grill over medium heat.
You can put wood on the coals if you wish to impart a smokey flavour, but I don't personally smoke chicken (unless its to be stripped from the carcus in salads and sandwiches!)

Back