Large Rib Roast help

M

mdmccall8

Going to do a Bone in Rib Roast for our friend Christmas Dinner. I just picked up a 20lb and 12 lb roast. Can't wait to get started. I am going to cook it on my Horizon 20'' Ranger. Any tips? Can anyone recommend any rubs, temps, types of wood, and times?

Slather with butter and coat generously with a standard herbs de provence mix. A blends of standard spices available anywhere. Google it for the recipe. It's the classic benchmark rub for prime rib. Go 2:1 apple to hickory.

I'm not familiar with your set-up. When I do Prime rib I score it first, then coat with worcestershire, Montreal steak seasoning and granulated garlic. I try to do this at least a day ahead, 2-3 days if possible. Then I cook it on my Weber rotisserie at around 250-275. I like to use mesquite for the smoke. Mine usually gets to rare in about 3-4 hours. I have only done them boneless however, I like to fix up the ribs as appetizers. I'm not sure how the cook with the bones on would affect the time/temp considerations.
Another tip I've heard is to cut the bones off, apply your seasonings of choice and then tie the ribs back on. I've been wanting to try it this way, but don't cook Prime rib all that often, big bucks you know.
Good luck in any case, I'm sure you will get all kinds of advice from the helpful bro's here.

I like to do a reverse sear on mine. I like a little bit of crust on the outside from the herbs, rub, and the sear. I've usually use oak for the wood.

I am a purest. I like salt and pepper with maybe just a touch of garlic. Then low and slow at 250 Pull it at 135 and rest for 20 minutes. That should give you perfect med rare.

Back