My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

I buy pellets in bulk from the factory, and I like to use different woods for different foods, so I got about 2 dozen frosting buckets from Sam's that they were just going to throw away and use them to store the pellets. It's much easier then messing with a ton of bags, and the stack very tight being square in shape.

Now, why do I find amusement in the thought that the containers Sam's Club cake frosting comes in are virtually the same things my Tidy Cat does...
:becky::becky::becky:

Nice looking cooker. Definitely looks steps above the rest. The real question is when will the food be ready? All I need is about 30 minutes notice.:mrgreen:

That looks a lot closer to Texas burnt orange than Nebraska scarlet.

Don't tell the folks at Yoder that, no love for Longhorns up here! :-o

And as it is the standard in-house orange, it's OSU Cowboy Orange if you want to be specific. :p

Beautiful rig, congrats! I will need to wait until Yoder makes a commuter version, that one's worth more than my car. I'll need one to do double duty to justify the expense. :loco

That looks a lot closer to Texas burnt orange than Nebraska scarlet.

Mike, I looked at the YS640's and trailer pits that had Husker red, that was my original intent for my YS640. However when I looked at YS640's and trailer rigs that had that red, it just didn't do it for me. I really like the contrast of the bright, rich orange and the black. And yes, it is closer to Cowboy Orange, like Competition Orange on a car. It really looks great. The only other color I would do is the cool green color like brother Rub's YS1320 cart.

WOW! I love it!

How big are the grates?

The bottom rack total is 23.5" x 42", and the top rack is 18.5" x 32.5".

Don't tell the folks at Yoder that, no love for Longhorns up here! :-o

And as it is the standard in-house orange, it's OSU Cowboy Orange if you want to be specific. :p

Speaking of no love for the longhorns and yoder smokers, can the orange color be customized, thinking scarlet red would look sexy....?

Wreck Em'

Speaking of no love for the longhorns and yoder smokers, can the orange color be customized, thinking scarlet red would look sexy....?

Wreck Em'
Yoder can do any color you can dream of. The carts are painted with an automotive paint. So you pick the color, they can do it. I just couldn't find a color that I liked any better in contrast with the black. I have always liked the orange/black contrast.

Here is the biscuit test for evenness. All I have to say is...Wow! If the bacon test wasn’t proof enough about evenness, this is. I chose 275* because that is where I would like to run this smoker at once I learn it. Baby steps. The HMS sliding plate was closed during this test, exhaust was wide open. These were cooked at 275* for 1 hour and 10 minutes until temps were 175*-180* IT. The temperature range of the biscuits was 8* difference from most done to least done. So now I want to buy another bag of biscuits and test it with the HMS plate open. I know it will not be even, but I want to see how the heat distribution is with that. I hope to do that on Monday. And of note, there is a very good smoke flavor on these cooked at 275*. Not overpowering, and you don’t have to search for the smoke flavor either, it’s just right. (Goldilocks Mod).

Frozen biscuits on

Biscuits done, super even cooking and browning

But, what about the underside, you ask? Well I flipped them all to show you.

So when they were done, I put them in a pan so you could see all of them, mixed up at random, side by side. Impressive!!

Nice looking rig. How far off the ground is the shelf? It looks like it's awfully short, but then again I'm 6'3".

Matt
Ground to top of shelf is 26.5". I'm 6' and it hasn't been an issue. I have to bend a touch to put my fingers on the shelf, but with a pan it should be just about right.

Back