Leg of Lamb...

C

colt45

ok... its long time, no post for me...

Anyone ever done a leg of lamb? What did you use? did it dry out? foil? times? temps? gimme the low down!

thanks for the help... and happy qing to all!

colt

hey Colt,

don't know if this is too late for you to use, or even IF you'd use it! but here it goes: i've found that using garlic powder on lamb and goat, makes for a good combo. if you have any of the southern flavor garlic seasoning i'd use it. lamb doesn't need much. i've found that keeping these two meats fairly simple is the best. here's how i Q mine. first rub the leg (the lamb's not yours) with butter and then season it with salt, pepper preferably coarse, and then the garlic seasoning. Q it uncovered for about 1 hour. after that, wrap it in foil until it's done. you'll know when it's done by sticking a fork in it and giving it a little twist. hope it works for you...IF you decide to use it.
good luck.
robert

Been way to long to remember, In fact I would be wasting your time. later.

But good to see you ,cornholio!

I quartered a whole goat not too long ago. I marinated it overnight in beer and meat tenderizer and continued to spray down with beer and tabasco while smoking. I took it off when the meat shrunk back off the leg bone about an inch. some people wouldn't eat it though simply because it was goat.

I've got an invite to judge at the Millington, TN, International Goat Days festival.

I'm considering going!! (1) To judge the 'que and (2) to get to know some in-laws better :D

In south Texas you gotta be careful -- a lot of Anglos think barbacoa is just barbeque with a Mexican name :D :D :D

Saturdays at some of the local places -- grab a tortilla, fill it up, and watch the grease run over your hand and down the arm as you chow down!! :D

Damn I miss San Antonio!! :D It's tamallis are all over the place right now for the holidays! Lights on the River Walk! SPURS basketball :D

I do have one job app working for San Antonio -- I think the boys would help me move the family back!!

Wow,
get busy at wrk for a few days, and you come back to a thread that starts on lamb, then to goat, then to Santa's ass, the tortillas in San Antonio.

The best thing about this thread, I didnt steer it here.

Colt, there was only one thread last Easter on old site about leg o lamb. I know the post'er, I will try to get some info. But Robert has a good point, but I know from supplying you that you ain't got So Flav garlic. How bout So Flav regular with a little garli powder

back on Topic. :)

look at the easter posts. But heres my lamb marinade.

1 bottle wisbone italian,
1/2 cup(about) red wine
1 head chopped garlic,
3 tablespoons rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon each sage and thyme and oregano.
juice and pulp of a lemon.

Use a blender and blend together till smooth and everythigns is chopped.
marinade 3-4 hours.. no more.

smoke at 240 till internal 130.

Rmove from smoker and roll on real hot grill for about 2 seconds each side just to seer it real good,

cover loose and let sit about 10-15 minutes.

Looks like the janitor came in and stump broke Santa.

Since mature goat and lamb (mutton) taste very similar and are prepared very similar, nothing about goat is really off-topic. Barbacoa might be since its main ingredient is stuff scrapped off a cow's head. And Santa's ass: well let's just not go there.

Perhaps off topic (but not far) is cabrito; otherwise known as kid goat que'd up Mexican style. I think Phil's marinade and technique would work well with kid goat.

I made the mistake of ordering cabrito for lunch once in a very good Tex-Mex place in Arlington VA. Basically what I got was a whole leg, about 20" long on a 12" platter. Everyone in the place was staring at us. Talk about food shock.

Since mature goat and lamb (mutton) taste very similar and are prepared very similar, nothing about goat is really off-topic.
Actually, I think Lamb has a stronger flavor (could just be me). Therefore I stay clear of it most of the time. I have a neighbor that cooks it up 3 or 4 times a year, so that satisfies any need for that. After all of this talk, I might just have to find me a goat to cook up on a spit come springtime.

DFLittle said:
In south Texas you gotta be careful -- a lot of Anglos think barbacoa is just barbeque with a Mexican name :D :D :D

Saturdays at some of the local places -- grab a tortilla, fill it up, and watch the grease run over your hand and down the arm as you chow down!! :D

Damn I miss San Antonio!! :D It's tamallis are all over the place right now for the holidays! Lights on the River Walk! SPURS basketball :D

I do have one job app working for San Antonio -- I think the boys would help me move the family back!!

hey Dave, did you know that barbacoa meat comes off of the cow's head? and have you ever tried lengua?

Fortunately or unfortunately I've tried it all -- none made me sick but some I'd not care to duplicate!! Unless there are great quantities of Lonestar longnecks! :D

Lot's of goat is cooked around the south Texas area, too!!

Back