MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Default Help with Burnt Ends

How do I know if my burnt ends are worthy of being turned in? What characteristics make up a good burnt end?

Should it be free of fat, visible anyway, as the point is fatty to begin? Should it be more smoky tasting than the slices?

The way I would cook them would be to cook the packer whole and when the flat is done remove the point, cube it, add sauce and rub and return to the smoker (in a pan), basting with sauce periodically. Should the burnt end carmalize? The last time I made them was my first. I maybe should have drained them from time to time, because they seemed to stew in the juices.

Do you place them in a pan or is better to elevate the ends so that they don't stew.

Please help me understand what a burnt end should taste and look like and please critique my process.

Thanks,

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Great post Greg.... I am sure a lot of us have the same questions about burnt ends. I look forward to seeing the replies.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Recent discussion

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=burnt&page=2
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Sled, did you ever figure them out?
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

cook 'em. cut them up, and if they are to die for, sauce them and turn them in. not too many secrets really. It has to do with the quality of brisket you're starting off with.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Hey Sled, did you ever figure them out?
I thought I did at the contest I did in August. Did them the same way at a contest in September and they sucked again so i left them out of the box. Came in 3rd so a no burnt ends box can still do well
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I thought I did at the contest I did in August. Did them the same way at a contest in September and they sucked again so i left them out of the box. Came in 3rd so a no burnt ends box can still do well
I agree.. I got a 1st in brisket with no burnt ends.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Divemaster

Sorry, took 3rd with burnt ends....

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

burnt ends should melt in your mouth. Thus there is not a problem if there is fat laced through the burnt end. However, I trim the fat off the point so that the top layers are meat - not fat. I also find that it is easy to overcook burnt ends. I basically pull the whole packer off and let it sit for a couple of hours. An hour before turn in I cut my point into two even slices and put the slices back on the smoker. 30 mins before turn in I cut ino 1" cubes and sauce, Then I rim the turn-in brisket with burnt ends. Never taken first - highest score has been 8th. So take this for what it's worth.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I always seem to need to return the point after seperating. It never seems to be done right when the flat is done.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the responses! So, the 1st test is do they melt in your mouth.....if you can't get it to that point then sauce em' and eat em', but don't turn them in.

Thanks again,

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I always seem to need to return the point after seperating. It never seems to be done right when the flat is done.
Mine ALWAYS needs more time on the cooker... I seperate before they go on the cooker... When the flat comes off, I cube up the point, season & sauce it, and it goes back on for a couple of more hours...

Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg60525 View Post
How do I know if my burnt ends are worthy of being turned in? What characteristics make up a good burnt end?

Should it be free of fat, visible anyway, as the point is fatty to begin? Should it be more smoky tasting than the slices?

The way I would cook them would be to cook the packer whole and when the flat is done remove the point, cube it, add sauce and rub and return to the smoker (in a pan), basting with sauce periodically. Should the burnt end carmalize? The last time I made them was my first. I maybe should have drained them from time to time, because they seemed to stew in the juices.

Do you place them in a pan or is better to elevate the ends so that they don't stew.

Please help me understand what a burnt end should taste and look like and please critique my process.

Thanks,
HUMPH

Attachment 32601
Raw Ends

Attachment 32602
Unadorned Burnt Ends

Make them this way and tell the judge you will stab him through the temple with a "doneness probe" through the temple until the point come out of his eye if he doesn't like it. Doesn't get you the prize but sure makes a good story.

The Ends are Smittys I think.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
HUMPH

Attachment 32601
Raw Ends

Attachment 32602
Unadorned Burnt Ends

Make them this way and tell the judge you will stab him through the temple with a "doneness probe" through the temple until the point come out of his eye if he doesn't like it. Doesn't get you the prize but sure makes a good story.

The Ends are Smittys I think.
You really should stay out of the comps forum.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick View Post
You really should stay out of the comps forum.....
ya think?