The New Barbecue Bible Preview

Are you going to buy the 10th Anniversary Edition of the Barbecue Bible?

• Absolutely – I have nearly worn out my 9th Edition

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Sure am – It is a classic I would like to pick up

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Maybe – I might buy it or I might just borrow it from a brother

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Fark No – What is this some sort of sales pitch?

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MileHighSmoker

Okay gang like I mentioned in an earlier thread I was one of 10 that received some advanced chapters of the soon to release 10 edition of the Barbecue Bible. The three chapters that they sent me color copies of:

What’s Your Beef? (pages 135-172)
High on Hog (pages 173-198)
Bird Meets Grill (pages 255-301)

So far (at least in the chapters they sent me) I am finding it more of Grilling Bible then a Barbeque bible but I guess that depends of if barbeque to you is grilling or smoking. So far my impression is great. I have been a big fan of a lot of the Steven Raichlen recipes from his show and that I have found online. I like the layout of the great color pictures of many of the finished recipes combined with some instructional pictures demonstrating techniques such as how to butterfly pork or beef, or “larding the beef” which I have never done but will now.

Compared to being a member of this forum this book so far does not hold a candle to the wealth of smoking information I have learned from this site, but for those of you who venture away from the sweet blue and like to mix it up on the grill I recommend it as a great addition if you don’t already own a copy.

Comment back if you guys have any questions about it.

Okay gang like I mentioned in an earlier thread I was one of 10 that received some advanced chapters of the soon to release 10 edition of the Barbecue Bible. The three chapters that they sent me color copies of:

So far (at least in the chapters they sent me) I am finding it more of Grilling Bible then a Barbeque bible but I guess that depends of if barbeque to you is grilling or smoking. So far my impression is great. I have been a big fan of a lot of the Steven Raichlen recipes from his show and that I have found online. I like the layout of the great color pictures of many of the finished recipes combined with some instructional pictures demonstrating techniques such as how to butterfly pork or beef, or “larding the beef” which I have never done but will now.

Compared to being a member of this forum this book so far does not hold a candle to the wealth of smoking information I have learned from this site, but for those of you who venture away from the sweet blue and like to mix it up on the grill I recommend it as a great addition if you don’t already own a copy.

Interesting. I have two of his other books that I use to cross reference ideas I'm playing with. Not sure I've ever cooked an actual recipe from them but they are packed with info.

I agree it is more of a "grilling" bible although there are a few recipies for BBQ like items on a grill.

For the grilling recipes, I have yet to try one that was not great. Highly recommend this and his rubs book.

what's in there that my barbecue bible doesn't have in it?? where does it say what edition i have? mine says copyright 1998.

So far (at least in the chapters they sent me) I am finding it more of Grilling Bible then a Barbecue bible but I guess that depends of if barbecue to you is grilling or smoking. So far my impression is great. I have been a big fan of a lot of the Steven Richen recipes from his show and that I have found online. I like the layout of the great color pictures of many of the finished recipes combined with some instructional pictures demonstrating techniques such as how to butterfly pork or beef, or “larding the beef” which I have never done but will now.

Thus is has always been with Steve. Not being critical, but his definition of barbecue is the same as most of the mass media--if it is cooked outside, or has a "bbq" sauce, it IS barbecue.
Having said that, I have too gained a lot of inspiration from him, and I think I have all his books, except "Ribs, Ribs, Ribs".
[including the stuff he wrote before he became a BBQ guru.]

please have a look at chapter one " a crash course on grilling and barbecuing". i'm pretty sure steve understands the difference.

there's a lot of stuff that happens on this forum that isn't true "bbq" either, but the name of the site is "bbq brethren".

:biggrin:

Raichlen's books got me into this hobby. I'll definitely pick up the 10th anniversary edition. Personally, of his books I prefer How to Grill and BBQ USA, although I've also used Sauces, Rubs and Marinades quite a bit.

I still think the best BBQ book ever is Peace, Love & BBQ by Mike Mills.

Raichlen's books got me into this hobby. I'll definitely pick up the 10th anniversary edition. Personally, of his books I prefer How to Grill and BBQ USA, although I've also used Sauces, Rubs and Marinades quite a bit.

I still think the best BBQ book ever is Peace, Love & BBQ by Mike Mills.

I still need to pick up Peace, love... I saw that it did really well amongst the users in the thread about what we all read. I have a lot to learn from everyone here still so I will take that recomendation to heart

I have alot of respect for Steven Raichlen and think he is a wealth of knowlege when it comes to grilling or smoking. BUT with that being said, I think he caters his books, shows and cooking seminars to individuals who are just starting out grilling or smoking or individuals with little or no experience in this arena.
I feel I have more of a reference and knowlege base to draw on here with the Brethren then any place or book could ever give! So my answer to the poll is Fark No, not because Steven Raichlen isn't a great author, but because I'm at a diffrent level of learning then what he promotes :wink:
As for books, my all time favorite and go to book is "The Legends of Texas Barbeque. Bought it on Amazon.com for $4!

Attachments

• legendsoftexasbb.jpg
    legendsoftexasbb.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
please have a look at chapter one " a crash course on grilling and barbecuing". i'm pretty sure steve understands the difference.

there's a lot of stuff that happens on this forum that isn't true "bbq" either, but the name of the site is "bbq brethren".

:biggrin:

Rick, you are absoutly right. I know Steve knows the difference. I did not state what I meant very well. What I was trying to say was that he uses the term BBQ a lot more generically in his books than a purist would. I know that to most folk, we have a very narrow definition, and I have no major quarrel with Steve or anyone else [See James Beard for example]using the term in a wider sense.

I just meant that a lot of the stuff in his books is BBQ in the wide sense, not in the narrow, low-and-slow traditional American BBQ meaning.

One of my favorite Raichlen books is THE BARBECUE BIBLE [Workman Press, 1998]. Steve travels around the world, essentialy, looking at the outdoor cooking of lots of countries. Spellbinding, but mostly not BBQ in the narrow sense.

Speaking of sense, am I making any:mrgreen:

I have most of his writing and use them to get ideas of my own. I have my own brand of grilling and BBQ, but go back to the books to see if I can pick anything up.

Well, Steven Raichlen does own and cook on BDS's, so in my eye he's got that going for him. Let's face it, the guy does have a good knowledge base and a lot of pit time whether it's grilling or barbecuing.

Rick, you are absoutly right. I know Steve knows the difference. I did not state what I meant very well. What I was trying to say was that he uses the term BBQ a lot more generically in his books than a purist would. I know that to most folk, we have a very narrow definition, and I have no major quarrel with Steve or anyone else [See James Beard for example]using the term in a wider sense.

I just meant that a lot of the stuff in his books is BBQ in the wide sense, not in the narrow, low-and-slow traditional American BBQ meaning.

One of my favorite Raichlen books is THE BARBECUE BIBLE [Workman Press, 1998]. Steve travels around the world, essentialy, looking at the outdoor cooking of lots of countries. Spellbinding, but mostly not BBQ in the narrow sense.

Speaking of sense, am I making any:mrgreen:

isn't that the very book this thread is about? i don't think he marketed the book to the true bbq purist, because they wouldn't buy it anyway since they already know all there is to know and wouldn't be interested in a bahamian grilled conch recipe...

i don't know... i see where steve explains the difference between grilling and barbecuing right in chapter one. it's really more of the general public that confuses the two terms and uses them interchangeably and marketing to the masses just makes good business sense.

anyhow, it's a great book and i love it. :biggrin:

isn't that the very book this thread is about? i don't think he marketed the book to the true bbq purist, because they wouldn't buy it anyway since they already know all there is to know and wouldn't be interested in a bahamian grilled conch recipe...

i don't know... i see where steve explains the difference between grilling and barbecuing right in chapter one. it's really more of the general public that confuses the two terms and uses them interchangeably and marketing to the masses just makes good business sense.

anyhow, it's a great book and i love it. :biggrin:

Duh. :icon_blush: Pretty dumb, huh. I guess I was fixiated on Barbecue USA, and some how switched around which we were talking about.

Anyhow, you just said what I was trying to convey.

Thanks

I emailed the publisher who sent me the chapters, and asked her if she specifically knew what differnces there are in this edition. I will let you know when I hear from her.

It seem to me most book on BBQ doesn't tell you alot . They all say about the same stuff. I can find all the information I need on this site . On here you get a lot of opinions which is good. As we all know we can do thing different way and still get a high quality product. So dont waste your money on that book . Buy some meat with it .

It seem to me most book on BBQ doesn't tell you alot . They all say about the same stuff. I can find all the information I need on this site . On here you get a lot of opinions which is good. As we all know we can do thing different way and still get a high quality product. So dont waste your money on that book . Buy some meat with it .

boooooooooo! :biggrin:

but i like books.

Honestly, I thought whatever version of the BBQ Bible I originally read wasn't worth buying. It is jam-packed with recipes, but I'm not so much into recipe tomes anymore. Had it been one of the first BBQ books I had seen, I may have liked it better. I probably won't even read the new edition.

Okay all I got a message back from the publisher about what is new in the 10th edition:

Hi Mark,
Thanks for a great question. The newly revised Barbecue Bible 10th Edition is full-color throughout, set up more like How to Grill, and there's a new chapter for frequently asked questions and tips to help prevent mistakes before they happen.

Have fun grilling!
amy

Back