Best value lump charcoal

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I see there are alot of different brands of lump out there. What are everyone's experiences and opinions? Thanks early for your help and feedback.

My favorite lump is whatever I can get my hands on that's not Cowboy.
I have had great success with Grove lump, but I believe it is somewhat regional.
HSLS has it right that RO lump is widely available, inexpensive at WM, and is a quality product. I just wish it was available in 20 or 40 lb bags.

im half way through my first bag of Best of the West lump from Sams Club. so far its been ok, besides the 6 pcs that were the size of volley balls. its cheap enough that I cant complain too much

Royal Oak at Wallyworld seems to be the most economical. I think it might be a 10lb bag for $6.50 (might be lil smaller bag...not real sure).

Kroger sells an 8.8lb bag for $6 (they put it on sale about every other week for $5.50). I heard that the Kroger brand might be RO lump. Not sure.

Seems everything else is at least $1 per 1 lb.

RO lump at Restaurant Depot is crazy cheap, assuming you can get a pass. I don't remember the exact price, but a 17.63 lb bag (8 kilos) goes for around 8-9 bucks.

I like Royal Oak when I can get it, otherwise the Best Choice brand from Homeland is great too! For me the Best Choice is $1 more but the size is more consistent with less crumble waste.

12.5kgs of lump for £7.50 in the farm shop near me - it's no brand but works well and has a good mix of sizes

Back