MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

Default hot and fast not ment to be?

upper 60s today, so when I got up this AM I trimmed up a 12 lb. packer, gave it a nice coat of Big Mistas Bitchin beef rub heated up the stickburner and tossed her on at 7 figuring it would be done around 5 or so. The stickburner was cruisin along between 2 and 3 hundred mostly around 250, while I was doing other things. About 1:30 I realized I hadnt stuck the temp probe in so I tried. It went in like butter, all over. I was reading 205-210 internal no matter where I stuck it. So off it came and foiled and into the cooler with some towels. BTW it tastes great, I had to test it!
I have never had a packer go this fast! at least 2 1/2 hrs sooner than expected? The stickburner was runnin like it always does, I think both my therms on it are good, never had a prob with them before and they were runnin the same readings. I was burning well seasoned oak.
The packer was one from Sams, no thicker of thinner than any other Ive ever done.
Anyone ever had one go this speedy?
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

All the time, I aint cooked a brisket past 6 hrs in I can't remember how long

Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

It must have spent more time around 300 then 250.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
landarc

I think Vision is right, I think today it must have run hotter. There are some variations, cut to cut, but, I can't remember a 6 hour packer at 250F.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

It must have spent more time on the side nearer 300. Thats the only thing I can fgure out. Lessons learned? Put in my probe therm when I put on th meatSo I can see whats going on. I just got lucky I checked it when I did.
On the upside it tasted excellent, maybe just a little dryer than one of my other briskets, but still very tasty!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

who gives a ****ing ****. a brisket is ****ing done when its ****ing done. ****!

:)

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

How did it come out isn't thats what really matters
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I've only cooked 2 briskets HnF so far, but both were done in the 6 hour range without crutching. Both were +/- 12 lbs.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Hmm this is interesting, I'm in deep south Texas and at the cook off yesterday my ribs were done 2 hours early and my brisket was done two hours early. In the conversation with some of the other cooks before and while standing around at the awards there were several other teams that said the same thing. One of my buddies was competing at a different event 2 hours north of me and several teams there had the exact same thing happen. For sure I know my temps were exactly the same as always and my meats were exactly the same as always, everybody else said the same thing about their's. We had a brutal southeast wind so we were thinking maybe the atmospheric pressure? But your way north of us so I guess its still a mystery. Just find it interesting we all had the same issues.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTEX View Post
Hmm this is interesting, I'm in deep south Texas and at the cook off yesterday my ribs were done 2 hours early and my brisket was done two hours early. In the conversation with some of the other cooks before and while standing around at the awards there were several other teams that said the same thing. One of my buddies was competing at a different event 2 hours north of me and several teams there had the exact same thing happen. For sure I know my temps were exactly the same as always and my meats were exactly the same as always, everybody else said the same thing about their's. We had a brutal southeast wind so we were thinking maybe the atmospheric pressure? But your way north of us so I guess its still a mystery. Just find it interesting we all had the same issues.
Yeah I'm WAY north of Edinburg! Hows the Javelina huntin down there?My wife suggested that it may be lower humidity, and an incoming front.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't mess with Mother Nature.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
who gives a ****ing ****. a brisket is ****ing done when its ****ing done. ****!

:)
Now I'm just shooting from the hip here, but I think Phil, who posed the original question, gave a ****ing ****. .

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil c View Post
Yeah I'm WAY north of Edinburg! Hows the Javelina huntin down there?My wife suggested that it may be lower humidity, and an incoming front.
Lots of Havalinas down here for sure, thats what we were thinking, the wind was brutal saturday because the front was almost coming in and so we thought maybe something about the atmospheric pressure maybe because of that too.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook 15lb ers in 5-6 hours all the time.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote