Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Tri State BBQ Dothan, AL April 13-14 FBA

mike101prf

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just wondering if ant brethern teams are going to Dothan next weekend
Not a lot of talk about it considering it is a BBQ Pitmaster event

We thought about it but decided to do Gadsden instead.
Gadsden is only an 1.5 hours away compared to Dothan which is about 5 hours away.

It's a well-run quality contest, wish I could get off work to be there.

I'll be there some hanging out with Russ (Second Star) and anyone else how will tolerate me. :oops:

Dothan used to be my "home town" event till Marianna changed from MIM to FBA. Only missed one since it's inception and that was do to health emergency with my Mother.

I do not consider it a quality event--sorry.

TIM

We will be there Thursday.Lang is gonna have a large display there.may even do a pig picking on the 84water in our q school area.

So far everything has been great
tickets, info and all questions asked have been answered quickly
this is our 1st time there so i dont know about the actual comp

Just curious as to where you feel it lacks in quality Tim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rub,
I "rate" comps primarily as to how "cooker friendly" they seem to me.

Stated differently, do I feel that the organizer wants me there, or am I there to support the other parts of the event??

Some things I look at are:
1. Do I ever see the organizer? Or, do I ever really see any of the staff? Over the two or more days there, does anyone stop by just to say "hi" or ask if we need anything?
2. Do I need to hunt down ice and trash bins, or does the event use one of their many golf carts to help out with that? Or, do the cute girls in the golf carts just drive around the area?
3. Even if the sites are of a good size, is the travel area between them adequate to allow the teams to maneuver for parking and such? Or are they so narrow that the front of my truck (parked within my site limits) gets $700 worth of damage by an arriving team threading the narrow area remaining between rows? Is there enough maneuver room to get even my 17' trailer into my spot without 4-5 twists and turns and 2 helpers to keep me off of the neighbors?
4. Is there a traffic plan to allow teams to depart shortly after awards?
If there is, do the nice folks at the gates know what it is?
5. Are the cash awards commersate with the entry fee? If a well established contest charges "good money" of $275, is the high placing (in catagory) payouts reasonable? Or is something like $350 for a first in catagory instead of a more reasonable $500, for the amount of entry fees received the way to go?

I will leave it to others to evaluate the Dothan event as they see fit.
I do know that the first several years of this event at the Peanut Festival ground with a different organizer were totally different from the current incarnation. That era was a class act!!!

I just know that there are too many "quality" events like Jesup, Marianna, Thomaston, the old Okeechobee, and Ocala that have set the standard for me.

With all of that said, I will be there some supporting Russ (Second Star) and hanging out with anyone who will put up with me.

TIM

I have not been to the new venue, that's too bad if it's gone downhill. I always enjoyed it at the peanut festival fairgrounds.

I have not been to the new venue, that's too bad if it's gone downhill. I always enjoyed it at the peanut festival fairgrounds.

Huge difference, both in location and management.

JMHO

TIM

I live in Gadsden, AL and will be competing in Smoke on the Falls, at Noccalula Falls Park, here in Gadsden. Chris Lily, and Danny Coogle will be there. I will not be competing in the PRO division ($300 entry) - I'll be in the backyard group ($150 entry). It's a KCBS event.

Back