• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cook times for pulled pork

R

rusold

Hey guys,

Been missing in action for a while for many reasons. "Rachel Ray the Infidel" made me realize how much I missed this place.

Doing free catering for my step-daughter's graduation party.

I am OK on the brisket and spares but can't remember cook times - techniques to get Boston Butt to become pulled pork in my decriped Bandera (bad maintenance plus Houston climate).

R

I'm sure many more experienced people will chime in on this, and there is some great info in the roadmap at the top, but here's what I did last weekend. I smoked an 8lb butt with some apple and pecan for about 90 mins / lb till it was 165, foiled it and brought it up to 190, spraying with apple juice every so often, then coolered it till it came back down to 165. The thing fell apart it was so tender. That's what I'm going to do tomorow as well. The last one got eaten too fast.

The only difference I did was took the butt to 200* in the foil rather than 190*. I read that it should be taken to 190* for sliced pork and 200* for pulled pork, before dropping to 165* to pull. Not sure why the difference matters.

paul kirk takes his butts to 165 for slicing and 190 to 205 for pulling

RBSNWNGS said:
paul kirk takes his butts to 165 for slicing and 190 to 205 for pulling

Mr. Kick takes his to 175* to slice and 195* to pull, but I'm checking for no to little resistance when running the probe into the meat. Some butts this could be 190*, some butts it may be 200*, it's all about the "feel."

rusold said:
Been missing in action for a while for many reasons. "Rachel Ray the Infidel" made me realize how much I missed this place.

Glad to have you back brother.

Back