MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Argh, I was wondering since I'm planning on selling at three town fairs/parades (Town Day, Memorial Day, maybe July 4th, and local fair) and I was wondering how legal I should go.
More than likely these places wont even let you in without insurance and liability. If you can get that and fill out a temp permit, doing it right is a lot easier than doing it wrong.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

1. Where do you sell? Do you cater? Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? A roadside stand? Mostly catering, a few select festivals.
2. Where do you prepare your food? In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD? Mobile kitchen, fully inspected and approved by the HD
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID? Yes, and insurance
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? Depends on the size of the gig. Biggest single project this year was $4,500
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? Food trucks and roadside vending are illegal in the suburb I live in. Other nearby cities barely tolerate them, the rules and licensing requirements are oppressive, so I don't do that.

I will echo several of the other comments here. Contact the festival organizer and learn what they require. In my state, you can get a temporary permit to vend with a minimum of equipment as long as your food is prepared in a licensed establishment. Good luck.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

1. Catering & festivals
2. Mobile kitchen built to NYS Sanitary Code Subpart 14-4. Yes.
3. Federal EIN, DBA, LLC, Insurance, Sales Tax Collection Registration, Worker's Comp Waiver, ServSafe Certification, blah, blah, blah
4. I don't fire up the smokers if I'm making less than $500, did $1500 last night.
5. Zoning laws in my area prevent roadside stands for the most part.