MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #10951
Templar
Got rid of the matchlight.

If anyone NEAR ATLANTA,GA is looking for the perfect 55 gallon barrel for $20.00 to build a smoker (UDS-smoker) out of then give Charlie a call. These are UNLINED barrels so you don't have to burn the liner out and then wire brush it out after that (A lot of work). Below is a picture of the two that I just got from him, one for building a UDS for my nephew and tho other.....ya never know. I built a UDS from one of these barrels 2 years ago. Here is his Craigslist add.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/for/3835241940.html

55 gal steel drum - $20 each (stone mtn)
steel 55 gal drums steel or plastic food grade formerly contained molasses honey or oil thanks charlie 404 488 1905
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 574627_10200398224471635_1098582868_n.jpg (64.5 KB, 876 views)
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #10952
wjm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

finally finished all 731 pages
drum ordered,doner weber grill on standby
big thanks to everyone who has posted,kept me entertained while stuck offshore
home next week and ready to go smoking
johnny

Last edited by wjm; 06-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo's
wjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #10953
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

I have started on the next builds as I had another two drums: They are in fairly good condition.

I decided that for these next two, I want to make a few changes. I will stick with the KISS principal:
- 2 x 3/4" inlets on the bottom and 1 x 3/4" ball-valve
- 1 x 2" exhaust on the lid with a directional exhaust pipe (to face away from/in to any breeze as needed) plus an additional 2 x 3/4" holes with caps and the existing 3/4" bung with a cap, should I need them.
- the charcoal basket needs to be more narrow than my first one, which is 8" tall and 18" in diameter - it's just tooo wide I think.
- the red silicone oven seal on the barrel rim works really well so I am repeating that.
- only one level of grill, 8" down from the rim, as I don't have a dome lid and won't use the upper grill much (if ever).
- handles - I need a more robust solution for handles so decided to make my own from some threaded SS rod and bolts and some wood I had - 'Grande Al BBQ' was born! I have made six of these.

CambuiAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #10954
JimmyK
Found some matches.

FYI...inspect your drum carefully before having it sand blasted, otherwise you might get more air vents then you wanted.

I learned this lesson the hard way....and now have a new drum that should with stand the sand blasting.

Thankfully I have a friend who is doing the sand blasting for free.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #10955
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

When you guys do the burn-out don't you get black soot on the inside of your barrel? Do you clean it off?
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #10956
SD
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My first UDS.

I have been lurking here for a while now. So, I just finished my first UDS and I am pretty happy with the outcome. I maaaaaaaay have over engineered it, haha.
The bowl set up is 2 bowls. The bottom bowl I was going to put wood chips in and the top bowl is a water bowl.

I will try to fire it up this weekend, baring any honey do's.

Any comments and feedback are appreciated so that I can make tweaks before firing her up.

Thanks again.

Last edited by SD; 06-05-2013 at 10:04 PM..
SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #10957
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
When you guys do the burn-out don't you get black soot on the inside of your barrel? Do you clean it off?
Not so much soot, per-se, but there is some burnt paint/liner/rust/other yuck and residue that needs to be removed. Most folks who have contributed to this thread have tackled it with a flap-wheel on an angle grinder or a wire wheel on a drill. Either one looked like too much work to me, so I had my drum sand blasted after burning it. It took 10 minutes and cost me $20, but it was worth every penny to me. Just my opinion - your mileage may vary.

And yeah - as JimmyK mentioned, check out your drum before having it blasted. The first thing the blaster asked me was if it was covered in rust. If it had been, he couldn't guarantee that the blaster wouldn't blow through it. Thankfully, my drum was in pretty good shape, with very little rust. Dented like all get-out, but very little rust...

Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #10958
CambuiAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
Yep - in all of my burn-outs the inside has been filthy afterwards. I have cleaned them out with washing up liquid, sponge and water and on one occasion alcohol, but that was over-kill and the fumes almost knocked me out as I reached down into the barrel. I did consider cleaning it with a pressure-hose, but actually a soap and water is fine.

Once it's all dry, I wipe it down with old vegetable oil with a rag - none of that fancy spraycan oil for me! It's going to get greasy and sooty once you do a few burns, so as long as any nastiness from the drum is burnt or scraped off, it should be good.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #10959
CambuiAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPup View Post
...And yeah - as JimmyK mentioned, check out your drum before having it blasted. The first thing the blaster asked me was if it was covered in rust. If it had been, he couldn't guarantee that the blaster wouldn't blow through it. Thankfully, my drum was in pretty good shape, with very little rust. Dented like all get-out, but very little rust...

I was quoted R$150 today (about US$75) to sand-blast the drum and they thought it would take about 1.5 hours!

Now, I wasn't sure if sand-blasting was something to do BEFORE the burn out to take all traces of paint off, or AFTER the burn-out as you suggest. Does sand-blasting clean it right back to clean metal? I am thinking about taking one of my recent burnt drums to them and seeing how long it does take - if they say R$150 for 1.5 hours, that means R$50 for something that takes 30 mins (about $25) which is pretty reasonable!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #10960
zimm226

Whats up everyone. This thread is great. I built my UDS last year and its been putting out excellent Q ever since. Figured I would post some pics finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0316 (800x600).jpg (140.8 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0421 (600x800).jpg (50.3 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395 (800x600).jpg (113.4 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0433 (600x800).jpg (24.6 KB, 747 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0558 (600x800).jpg (59.4 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0617 (800x600).jpg (109.7 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626 (800x600).jpg (117.5 KB, 746 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0562 (800x600).jpg (105.6 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1125 (600x800).jpg (53.9 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1205 (800x600).jpg (112.0 KB, 747 views)
zimm226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #10961
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=Templar;2503905]If anyone NEAR ATLANTA,GA is looking for the perfect 55 gallon barrel for $20.00 to build a smoker (UDS-smoker) out of then give Charlie a call. These are UNLINED barrels so you don't have to burn the liner out and then wire brush it out after that (A lot of work)............

Not so true my friend about the perfect barrel or NOT having to burn them out because you can't see a liner. Unless you get a drum from right from a drum manufacturer or a reconditioning center, there will be a Liner in the drum. Its a Rust inhibitor and it is Clear. You think you are looking at bare metal, but your not. You still would want to do a burn out. just saying.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #10962
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
This is my 17th or 18th UDS not sure I've lost track. My daughter in the service has another serviceman that was so so interested in one and because he was deployed I couldn't say no when he asked her if I could make one for him. Total cost.....our freedom!! So hope he enjoys it and welcome home!
Whoops take this back this one went to my daughters coworker at the hospitol
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #10963
wjm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

trying to get all the parts gathered up before I get home so I can get stuck in and have it built for the weekend.
found some 22 gauge online but is it to light for my fire basket or should I wait and find something heavier?
wjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #10964
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

22 is pretty light, I used 9 X 3/4.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #10965
kjones14

New member here. First off I want to say thanks to everyone and their input. I just bought a new unlined drum today and will be beginning my project tomorrow. My question is:
I have read several people talking about the nipples and nipple caps rusting. Has anyone ever used rustoleum paint on those parts? With them not getting too hot one would think it would help...any thoughts?
kjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker