MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Question 2013 Sams Club Rule Change, Can Someone Explain?

My friend and bbq cook Fred Neville pointed this out to me and wondered what the heck rule #7 is all about.
7. To ensure fairness for all KCBS teams, a team's head cook and team members cannot enter the assigned cooking area of another team at another Sam's Club contest. If it is determined that a head cook or team member is abusing this rule, both teams will be disqualified.

I like to bbq, but if I can't stop by and see Lucky, Balls Casten, Pat, Tippy Joe, Ryan, or any of my other favorite cooks I may as well stay home. Why subject amazing reps like Mike and Theresa Lake to having to enforce this rule, and does Troy Black have the authority to enforce this rule?

This rule defeats the mission of the KCBS in my eyes! Recognizing barbeque as America's Cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Bring the barbed wire, razorwire, and perimeter detection gear...
WSM 18.5 blown with an IQ110
Orion Cooker
*FORMER SMOKER HOARDER*, NOW A HOARDER AGAIN!

Proud member of the Iowa Barbeque Society & Rocky Mountain BBQ Association
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I am probably just over analyzing everything like I always do. But I have met some fantastic people and if I cant go and BS with you and them then it concerns me.

I know I am a new team but at the contests I did last year Tracy and I helped many first time teams. Whether it was showing how to make boxes or helping figure out rules and times. I would hate to think that if I was to do Sams, the friendliness of teams towards new teams not be permitted.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I am assuming that some teams were configured differently for the regionals than they were at the local.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Hate to say it again, but things like this are the reason we won't do another Sam's event. You can give me all of the bullshoi you want about how it's a competition where we have the opportunity to win money and we should be thankful. We can attend 50-60 other events throughout the year here and not have to deal with crap like this.

Don't think people agree with me? Why can't they fill the Marietta event with enough teams every year?
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are a registered head cook at that contest you can visit friends. If not doing the contest and you are registered for another contest then you can't do more than wander by and say hi. Year one some 2 person teams signed up for 2 locals then cooked both together. That's why the rule was put in last year.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think it makes sense because KCBS rules prohibit teams sharing equipment to begin with. This type of rule looks aimed at something else. The thing that most concerns me is the actual enforcement of this rule and maybe overlooking something legitimate.
Orion Cooker

Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I just don't understand the constant bitchin about rules at different contest. There's not a single contest in the country that makes you enter. If you don't like the rules, don't participate and move on.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Troy enforces the non kcbs rules. I was at one contest where he told a visiting cook to leave the contest site. It's not about head cooks at that contest, it's about ringers coming in to help somebody. It has nothing to do with kcbs rules or reps. If you cook contest "a" you can not go to contest "b" and help another team. Simple.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
I guess I just don't understand the constant bitchin about rules at different contest. There's not a single contest in the country that makes you enter. If you don't like the rules, don't participate and move on.
I think that is a bit harsh. Only speaking for myself I am/was interested in entering Sams events. When the schedule came out the closest Sams event to me(Des Moines) was going on at the exact same time as an established well run contest in the same general area(Waterloo).

Having never done a Sams event I read the rules closely and questioned rule #7 to someone that had done a Sams event before. ONLY for clarification so as I could make an informed decision as to which contest I want to do and why. No complaining rules are rules but am/was I misunderstanding the rule. I personally would rather know and understand rules before I enter an event, then i can choose to participate or move on and if I question something I dont understand why it would be considered complaining.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Troy enforces the non kcbs rules. I was at one contest where he told a visiting cook to leave the contest site. It's not about head cooks at that contest, it's about ringers coming in to help somebody. It has nothing to do with kcbs rules or reps. If you cook contest "a" you can not go to contest "b" and help another team. Simple.
Thank you, I understood when you used the A and B example. I wish it would have been written differently but how you explained it makes sense to a simple mind like mine.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Pappy, you are a great deal more patient and financially secure than I am I would believe by your statement. I bank on fair, well thought out, well explained, and consistent rules that everyone understands and can abide by without jumping through hoops of all shapes and sizes. There are contests that MANY cooks refuse to compete in because of improvised rules and lack of consistency. The fact that the local Sam's Club contest is 6 blocks from my home makes it very luring but if having a cup of coffee with a fellow competitor on Saturday morning could get us DQ'd I may pass.
Orion Cooker

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

This rule was in affect last year too.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Is this rule worded any differently from last year?

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
Pappy, you are a great deal more patient and financially secure than I am I would believe by your statement. I bank on fair, well thought out, well explained, and consistent rules that everyone understands and can abide by without jumping through hoops of all shapes and sizes. There are contests that MANY cooks refuse to compete in because of improvised rules and lack of consistency. The fact that the local Sam's Club contest is 6 blocks from my home makes it very luring but if having a cup of coffee with a fellow competitor on Saturday morning could get us DQ'd I may pass.
6 BLOCKS!!!! I guess I know where I can find a chitter and a hot shower in the middle of the night.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I doubt there are many folks that cook a Sams Club event that actually attend another Sams Club event as a spectator, so I doubt this is really an issue.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote