MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #16
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQGuy View Post
Try the 3-2-1 method and get those temps closer to 275. That should get you there.
Agree. This is the way I used to do them and the bones were literally falling out when I removed the ribs from the cooker. I like a little more firmness now but 3-2-1 definitely works.
Old Smokey Electric.
Blackstone 22.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
Agree. This is the way I used to do them and the bones were literally falling out when I removed the ribs from the cooker. I like a little more firmness now but 3-2-1 definitely works.
Hah! Same for me on both counts. 3-2-1 was my mainstay for YEARS. I'm a 3-1-2 or 3-1-1 guy now for the most part, if I foil at all.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"

Red Oak is still Oak
TxQGuy is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #18
Biloxidman
is One Chatty Farker

My 2 cents, every time I do baby backs the dome temp is 265-270, which translates to a grate temp of 295 or so. Pull the membrane, on bare for 2 hours, wrap in doubled heavy duty foil with a 1/2 cup of red wine for an hour, then out of the foil for saucing. Always fall off the bone.

https://i.imgur.com/VJ1sw0o.jpg
Biloxidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
mchar69
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I think a problem may be that I used do my ribs in a slow cooker or instant pot and finished on the gas grill which produced very soft ribs.
IT'S A JOKE! Those guys are kidding - boiling ribs is not bbq - not sure what it is, but don't go down that path of iniquity.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #20
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedonsmbot View Post
Thanks for the great responses.

I knew the temps on my last 2 cooks were on the extreme low-end of typical, but part of what I'm doing is experimentation and after several failures due to burning/overcooking, I was ready for a couple low-heat/under-cooked failures.
When I say 215 degrees I really mean the dome temp was 195, the grill temp 210 in the center, 240 at the perimeter (where the convector plate ends).
I always remove the membrane, but once left it on just to learn the texture.

I've done cooks where I left the dome closed the entire time (no spray), I've done cooks where I bend test the ribs every hour after the 3hr mark. Every cook has had a drip pan with at least some water but I guess it's time to start testing without.

I think a problem may be that I used do my ribs in a slow cooker or instant pot and finished on the gas grill which produced very soft ribs. Almost pulled pork texture.

I was toying with the idea of buying a roasting pan (with lid) to braise the ribs after the initial smoke. I'm uniquely terrible at aluminum foil origami.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

2 or 3 guys here are farking with you because you want fall off the bone instead of a clean bite off the bone like competition ribs. I call them BBQ snobs who have forgotten what this forum is all about.

Just giving you the way I do it:
1. Just ST. Louis Spares here.
2. Bend test is a biggie. Master it.
3. Just for me always 275*F for any pork or beef.

4. I question the accuracy of your temp measuring device. Lid thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Go with some type of grill level rig to see what's actually happning in your pit.

Just my .02 and Good Luck!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 02-27-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #21
Inthewoods
Babbling Farker

Cook hotter. Like it's been said above 275*
Any cooking under 275* just seems like self-loathing...mid-life crisis chit.
No need for foil.
Spritzing meat isn't necessary either...it's just a bit of the "Hey, look at me and me spritzer"
"Listen ta the sizzle!!!"
Yeah...okay Mr. Clean ya forgot yer f'ing squeegee...

Anyways, just roll hot, have four more beers than usual and ya will be fine!

Qtalk...we build f'ing heroes.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #22
rm41400
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Cook hotter. Like it's been said above 275*
Any cooking under 275* just seems like self-loathing...mid-life crisis chit.
No need for foil.
Spritzing meat isn't necessary either...it's just a bit of the "Hey, look at me and me spritzer"
"Listen ta the sizzle!!!"
Yeah...okay Mr. Clean ya forgot yer f'ing squeegee...

Anyways, just roll hot, have four more beers than usual and ya will be fine!

Qtalk...we build f'ing heroes.

-D
😆

Yup! Don’t complicate it

Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #23
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

3-2-1 will get them to fall off every time. 3 hrs smoke, 2 hours wrapped with some liquid and flavorings, 1 hour back on the grates to tighten up. If they are pretty thing babys, then maybe 3-1-1. But the point is wrapping will get them there.
ArtBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #24
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
IT'S A JOKE! Those guys are kidding - boiling ribs is not bbq - not sure what it is, but don't go down that path of iniquity.

I'm sorry to be this guy.. But I have indeed boiled ribs and finished them off on the grill! Can't say they were amazing but they turned out rather good LOL

Old 02-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #25
hedonsmbot
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
I'm sorry to be this guy.. But I have indeed boiled ribs and finished them off on the grill! Can't say they were amazing but they turned out rather good LOL
That's how I made ribs in the 90s.

President's Choice brand BBQ sauce came with a rib recipe calling for boiling ribs 'till they were falling off the bone, then baste and grill to finish.

A lot of things in the 90s sucked.
hedonsmbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
hedonsmbot
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Troy

So it turns out none of you had the right answer.
Yesterday I discovered that the solution to the problem was actually: "Why the hell are you making baby back ribs when pork belly exists!?"

I know I'm late to the party, but I just discovered pork belly burnt ends and I feel like I have so much lost time to make up for.
I also reverse seared a bit of it with some salt and pepper and put it in the fridge. Reheated some on the skillet this morning and I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to bacon.
hedonsmbot is offline   Reply With Quote