MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #16
aimcat
Knows what a fatty is.

who care - awesome! Thanks! Have you competed in this one before? Would you deem this a good "starter" comp? Should we go ahead and join KCBS prior? We are not currently members.
aimcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Schwebs
Found some matches.

Default Ez ups are fine

Some great tips being given in this thread. Check other threads on set up for more tips.

Last weekend the "team" (one guy) next to me at Minnesota in May had two WSMs and two EZ ups, along with a few bins for the rest of his stuff.... all of which fit into a small Mazda SUV!

In a field of 70 teams, he had two calls. Color me impressed.
Schwebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #18
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

2 nice calls. Great guy! He has been working his way up and uses what he has

Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwebs View Post
Some great tips being given in this thread. Check other threads on set up for more tips.

Last weekend the "team" (one guy) next to me at Minnesota in May had two WSMs and two EZ ups, along with a few bins for the rest of his stuff.... all of which fit into a small Mazda SUV!

In a field of 70 teams, he had two calls. Color me impressed.
I get everything I need into/onto a Corolla. My very kind teammate stores and hauls my EZ Up.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #20
who cares
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
who care - awesome! Thanks! Have you competed in this one before? Would you deem this a good "starter" comp? Should we go ahead and join KCBS prior? We are not currently members.
We competed here last year. It is a good comp. If turn in is in the same place as last year, you have to walk up around 20 step to a upper parking lot. I would give yourself 4-5 min for a walk to turn in, in your timeline. You do not have to be members of KCBS if you choose not to. If you find this is something you want to do then join. Likes others have said work on your cook and getting everything turned in.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

As far as being a member of KCBS, they will use your membership number to keep track of your scores, so if this is something that you will benefit from, then join.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #22
aimcat
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice!! We are thinking of adding a pit barrel cooker to the line up for chicken and ribs, what would you all think?

Old 05-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #23
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Thank you guys so much for all the advice!! We are thinking of adding a pit barrel cooker to the line up for chicken and ribs, what would you all think?
I am a bit partial, but I think it would be a great choice. It would be a relatively inexpensive addition and doesn’t take up a lot of space. I would order it quick so you could get a practice cook or two in.

Last edited by pharp; 05-18-2018 at 08:04 AM..
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
aimcat
Knows what a fatty is.

I ordered the pit barrel today with ash pan! I hope it makes a great addition. Do comp ribs HUNG turn out ok? I have never hung anything so just curious!

Old 05-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
I ordered the pit barrel today with ash pan! I hope it makes a great addition. Do comp ribs HUNG turn out ok? I have never hung anything so just curious!
We hang our ribs in a Hunsaker drum. I've never tried them in a PBC, but they should be fine. Just remember to wrap them and move them to the grate before they get tender enough to fall into the fire :O

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #26
moej
Got Wood.

Shake and Bake hangs ribs and they do ok. Practice that method before the contest.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #27
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
If you have an android device such as a cell phone. Get the 180que app. It will help you keep on your timeline. Helps you build one too. My favorite tool and it is free.
Pretty cool app, thanks for the heads up

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #28
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

As far as hanging, it certainly can be done. We have played around with it, and I think we're going back to laying them flat. I think it comes down to comfort level and what you like better.