Chicken

tyotrain

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Can I use price chopper brand chicken thighs for comp or does it have to be kosher? Kinda confused on this. Thanks brothers and sisters

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

If it where me I would use organic. Just better quality meat than common day to day slaughter house birds. Just as long as your not using legs you will at least have a chance.

Thanks for the help guys

BBQ UP

If it where me I would use organic. Just better quality meat than common day to day slaughter house birds. Just as long as your not using legs you will at least have a chance.

i wouldn't 100% agree with any of this.

i wouldn't 100% agree with any of this.

Looked up your team rankings on KCBS and it was blank. This would explain why your advice was also blank. :crazy:

Looked up your team rankings on KCBS and it was blank. This would explain why your advice was also blank. :crazy:

i haven't entered it into the KCBS database.

my statement still stands...

i also didn't give advice there, just disagreed with your blanket statement about both cut and source.

Sorry didn't mean to get something started was just confused on the kcbs rules on chicken.

BBQ UP

Okay... I am getting pissed at this Lght guy....

do I look like that much of a asshat? If so... hey man.. I was just joking.... I am sorry.

Sorry didn't mean to get something started was just confused on the kcbs rules on chicken.

BBQ UP

You didn't start anything. You posted an excellent question in fact. Comps are farkin' expensive and meat ain't cheap. For home use, I find the family pack wings, legs and thighs plenty tasty, and you're looking for flavor after all, not pedigree.

I use grocery store chicken and have done just fine with it.

Even got a nice little ribbon at "the Jack" last year with the grocery store chicken.

Compare a few brands and see what works best for you, certainly some stores seem to be better than others. Some people swear by a high dollar bird, but I am not one of them.

As with all things, YMMV, but at the end of the day, there is no rule against it.

Good luck.

Short answer: chicken, kosher chicken & Cornish Game hens are legal for KCBS comps.

Back