Smoker vs. Water Smoker

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is your favorite kind of cooker for brisket, pork and ribs...water cooker or non-water cooker?

Last edited:
I like water or a water wine mix or a water bud light lima rita mix that is actually very good.

Im a sand in the water pan kind of guy. Not a fan of express rusting my cookers.

But Ive never ran water in my BWS or Humphreys so I cant really compare

WSM low n slow with water here. I see your in MN. Cold weather smokes may be a different story. At least with a WSM you have the option.

No water...mini with only the steamer pan and UDS with holey pizza pan or with out pan if it's only 1 rack.

3 gallons of water in my Humphrey's .....

Perfect temperature control throughout the whole cook.

OP just needs to be irresponsible and bite the bullet on a cooker. The beauty about quality smokers is they retain a fair amount of value when kept in great shape. Be a pit ho. Each year trade up and you'll have a better idea of what your needs actually are.

OP just needs to be irresponsible and bite the bullet on a cooker. The beauty about quality smokers is they retain a fair amount of value when kept in great shape. Be a pit ho. Each year trade up and you'll have a better idea of what your needs actually are.

The question has nothing to do with what smoker I do or do not want to purchase. I asked the question because I was re-watching the 2012 Kingsford Invitational today and I noticed Pig Skin BBQ using a BWS for brisket and a gravity fed for pork. I really wanted to see where the Brethren weighed in on the issue and why. Why choose to go water on one cook and not another?

gmag i can tell you for the most part water in a smoker has squat to do with moisture but rather temp control. Some folks are in hot climates and like water to hold down the temps on hot days. Your neck of the woods don't worry about water but rather vent control. Hope that helps.

gmag i can tell you for the most part water in a smoker has squat to do with moisture but rather temp control. Some folks are in hot climates and like water to hold down the temps on hot days. Your neck of the woods don't worry about water but rather vent control. Hope that helps.

Yes !!! Here's another way to look at it... If you sat in a steam room/sauna... your body will still lose water, not absorb the water around you... but some may rest on your skin.

We run multiple cookers...

We like to do chicken hot, dry & fast. Skin-side down on the racks most of the time.

For ribs, we have a new BWS Competitor (permanent, fixed water pan).
I think the moisture helps. Lots of folks disagree. Of course there's a LOT of other factors.
It ain't necessary to have a water pan. But, for ribs, I like it.

As someone mentioned already, it helps control the temps. So, consider the insulated/non-insulated factor. An insulated smoker can be hard to cool back down if you get it too hot.
Water helps to keep you in a sane temp range.

Might sound like an argument against an insulated smoker, but, how much do you wanna spend on fuel? What's your average daily ambient temp where you live?

So, the questions/factors can go on and on and on...
How THICK do you like the bark on your ribs?
I just like a thin caramelized layer...
I don't want the same bark on ribs that I do on butts...

The factors involved are "numerous", to say the least.

Anyhow, I like water --- as far as ribs are concerned.
However, be advised that many of my esteemed brethren maintain otherwise.

Full disclosure: I flunked kindergarten.
Only once. But, I flunked it.

I prefer chicken without water so I can cook at higher temps for crispier skin. Otherwise, it depends on the smoker and the amount of meat in it. A big unit with lots of meat has enough thermal mass and moisture from the meat. A small smoker can benefit from the control and moisture the water pan gives.

Not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong. Just works for me

Back