MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

When you use a grate over the coals treat it as a grill, steaks or burgers direct or set it off to one side for indirect grilling. when i use the dutch oven or foil wrapped items I set them off to one side and use it like an oven except the heat is off to one side instead of below. Anything you would do in a weber you can do here........ I typically do steaks or chicken breasts or roasts, sometimes a bacon wrapper wild turkey breast in the foil is good but I add some chicken broth in the foil. On a weekend morning i sometimes wrap venison steaks and bacon in foil and go about my business for a bit and come back for a simple breakfast. Experiment with it and you will enjoy it.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Do it often:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=fireplace
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=fireplace
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fireplace cooking is actually roasting. You put the meat in front of the fire. With barbecue, you cook with meat suspended over the coals and no flame. Broling is accomplished with meat over flames or very close to hot coals.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've put up pics of my fireplace cooking, I do steaks and French oven and string roasts are easy too.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Some of the best food I've had was cooked in the fireplace during power outages. No special equipment, just well-placed logs and aluminum foil.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Thanks everyone. Seems like my idea is one that many have had luck with. I am going for it this coming weekend. I have a Dutch oven, cast pans, a camping grill (grate with legs) and a large cast griddle. I have to get used to working that close to the ground, but I think that this could be a great start to something. Thanks again!
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

this was my saturday afternoon cook.

Chuck roast and veggies in my great grandmothers cast iron with red oak in the fire. First time doing it this way but will not be my last.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

That looks awesome. I am glad I asked about this. Apparently "all of the cool kids are doing this."
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know anything about the fireplace but i love some SOA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

It is easier that most people realize.
Two things that I did not see posted
1. Depending on your flue (I have a cast iron flue in my Isokern) you may be able to clip an S hook and a length of chain to hang dutch ovens. I have found that helps to be able to slide the pot closer to fire if needed.
2. Try screwing a screw-eye into your ceiling and suspend a chicken on a string. Dont forget a pan for drippings. spin the chicken every 10 minutes or so and keep a hot fire.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote