MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Default water in my uds...........

did my second cook on my uds and after 13 hours cooking I had close to one half inch of water in my barrel. Is this normal? I expected some grease, but, why all the water? It didn't rain and I know my son didn't pour water in the exhaust. Can humidity cause this? I live in the high desert, humidity shouldn't be a problem. I started the cook at 6 am until 7 pm.

Any ideas?
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

If it was during the cook i would say its condonsation.
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Con.. Den... SATION SATION SATION!
Family Guy mod.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

When I do it low-n-slow(less than 250), with a mostly full grate and under 250 I often get the water/drippings. My guess is that some drippings miss the charcoal basket and condensation from all the meat help to add to the puddle? Maybe the fuel? I know that when I cook at higher temps(300+) I do not get the puddle.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

What were you cookin'? Was it marinated?
Meat can hold a lot of moisture...
I know when I do ribs...and yes, I spray them with an apple juice/cider concoction but don't go over board, I can tell that there is a build up of moisture in my UDS...not large qty...but it is quite noticable.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Neil

1/2" of water in the bottom of a 55 gal. drum is a lot of water! When cooking large quantities of butts in my drums, 40-60 lbs., I use a water pan and I've never had water in the bottom of the drum after the cook. Is the meat you are cooking injected with a 30% or greater water solution?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
1/2" of water in the bottom of a 55 gal. drum is a lot of water! When cooking large quantities of butts in my drums, 40-60 lbs., I use a water pan and I've never had water in the bottom of the drum after the cook. Is the meat you are cooking injected with a 30% or greater water solution?
That's what I'm wondering too.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Grrr...I hate that water injection. Tiny, tiny print on the tag: "Contains water and flavorings." Wait, man! I am buying meat, not "water and flavorings." Plus, they do not have to reveal what the "flavorings" are. Grrrr...that's why we buy no meat from Wally World.

Ah, I feel much better now!

If you use a water pan, you probably will not get as much moisture in the barrel cuz it will catch a lot of it and vaporize it. Are you closing things off afterward for cool down? That will trap water in the barrel, I have found. But a half inch, I would say that has to be coming from your meat. Check the labels when you buy; bring a magnifying glass to read 'em. Grrrr.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That's what I'm wondering too.
Great minds think alike!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
Grrr...I hate that water injection. Tiny, tiny print on the tag: "Contains water and flavorings." Wait, man! I am buying meat, not "water and flavorings." Plus, they do not have to reveal what the "flavorings" are. Grrrr...that's why we buy no meat from Wally World.

Ah, I feel much better now!

If you use a water pan, you probably will not get as much moisture in the barrel cuz it will catch a lot of it and vaporize it. Are you closing things off afterward for cool down? That will trap water in the barrel, I have found. But a half inch, I would say that has to be coming from your meat. Check the labels when you buy; bring a magnifying glass to read 'em. Grrrr.

I agree. 1/2" of water is a lot. I have never seen that much in my UDS.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Default thanks for you're responses

cooked 4 butts on top rack. All were close to 6 lbs each . I didn't know about the injection(pre) at stores. I'll start looking for that. I did shut the drum down completely after the cook. I'll try using a water pan in the future. If I cooked on the bottom rack how or where would you place a water pan? Directly on top of the fire box? Clueless mode on here!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Come to think of it, maybe it was some humidity as well. Never seen the eastern and southern part of the state look so green from rain.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

I put in 3 more bolts in the drum 6" or so above the top of my fire basket, used a cheap Wally World 22.5 grate, and put a foil roaster pan on it for the water pan. Cheap and disposable. It leaves the upper two grates for cooking.

Relative humidity here in the South stays at 75-90%, and I have never had 1/2" of water in my drum.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

when it's cold or humid I get water in the bottom of my UDS's, its condensation