UDS Weber lid mod

Balony

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I searched the forum with no results....Has anyone tried cutting an inch or so off the top of the bottom Weber kettle to weld into the top of a barrel? I thought that would make a nice lip for the Weber lid to set on.

If it has been done do i need to weld all the way around the barrel or just tack it in 6-8 spots around the barrel ?:help:

I call it the Weber Flange Mod.

I suppose you can weld it to the drum if you wanted, but I make mine removable to use the drum lid for Turbo cooking or rotisserie rings.

Here it is on a closed drum to use a kettle lid. Leave @ 1/8" on your cut inside the rib and it will fit very tight with no need to weld-and it will keep the greasy buildup inside the drum and not all over the sides. (Don't ask how I know this!)

100_2083.jpg

100_2085.jpg

With an open drum for using either lid-Mostly for extra height, like Beer can chickens or Leg & Wing racks.

100_1640.jpg

100_1639.jpg

100_1638.jpg

100_1644.jpg

Works well with Rotisserie rings.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Join the Brethren site and you get expanded Search options-just one more reason to hang out here!

Balony.....................................;}-

Yes, try your lid on the barrel,mine is a fraction off fitting ; a bit of 'ball peening' and the thing will fit perfectly. No welds to do,no extra holes in your barrel:idea:.
And look in the neighborhood on trash day and you'll probably find some grates to use in it ,fire ring base AND the cooking grates.:clap2:. The expanded metal used around the bottom of some Fire Pits , makes a great char-wood basket.
hope this hepls and,

Thanks for all the replies :) you guys rock

Oldschoolbbq.. Yes i have tried and it isnt close, thanks

I bought a second weber grill off craiglist yesterday to sacrifice to the UDS gods.... it was a nice looking weber for 30bucks with a like new hinged grate in it.

I will be doing the Weber Flange Mod thanks guys.. ill post pics shortly

Back