Jack daniel's oak wood chips

timmy7649

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has used them. If so let me know what you think,how much and how it tasted?

I use them for ribs or steaks sometimes. Adds a nice flavor. The best part is the smell of the smoke when cooking.

I believe they are white oak, which is very similar to the post oak used in Central Texas. I want to try them sometime.

Wife bought me some for Christmas and I loved them. I actually need to get some more. Like Big Whiskey said the smell of the smoke is incredible.

I've used them and they are great, I did a pork loin with them and it turned out fantastic.

they are made from the barrels so doubt one could get chunks, maybe sell some staves ?

There was a post in the past about JD charcoal. Anyone know what came about that? Also, if you wanted to use JD chips in a UDS, how much would you recommend?

I've seen chips at Wally World. They are in little black bags (same looking label as the whiskey)

used them on chicken before but used too many because it was quite strong. But the flavor was great just strong. Nothing like the smell of the smoke.

I have used these. The best thing about them to me is the smell before you use them. They smell incredible. A mixture of bourbon and oakwood smell. As far as smoke flavor, I did not notice a difference. I think it is kind of like the garlic or onion wood pellets I use from traeger. The garlic or onion flavor does not transfer to the food.

Every once in a while Bass Pro Shops has them on sale...........

When they do, I get a few bags.

As others have said - the smell of the smoke is something special.

i use them all the time on beef, pork, and fattys :biggrin:

here's what the bag and smoke looks like. it's a lot different than apple or cherry. the smell of the smoke and fatties with dizzy dust on them is fabulous :eusa_clap

eddieclassicII-032.jpg

The only way I know of to get chunks is to buy their charcoal, which I use and LOVE.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic

d2709f5a.jpg

google Kentucky barrels and you will find 5#, 10# and 20# boxes of "used" bourbon barrel chunks for sale... prices include shipping... I've never tried them but I have been drooling over the thought for a while! not JD by name, but chunks just the same!

I use them all the time and highly recommend them. I can stand around sniffing the bag all day...........ya know, they might make good air fresheners as well:idea:

i've been known to put a chip between my cheek & gum :biggrin:

Back