MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #6766
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

SWEET!!! Now get it dirtly!!

Last edited by chaddie; 09-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: double post
chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #6767
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry for the double post. OPPS!!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #6768
Maguire2648
Found some matches.

i know right..... way to clean. im gunna do a fatty to season it will post pics of it all "dirty" once i start really using it
Maguire2648 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #6769
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
I do unfoil, but maybe not long enough. I'm sure I didn't leave them on another hour. You flip your ribs? May be some of the issue... I haven't.

As for the temps, that is my problem. Darn thing won't hold steady for some reason. Wondering if the lump burned hotter, and more consistent than the KF.... Guess only one way to find out!
Lump is the way to go IMO, much more predictable and far less ash. An hour out of the foil is good too, I DO like to put a piece under the ribs for that last hour though. Keeps the textures even.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #6770
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

top rack saw no foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I just did an experiment with foiled vs. non-foiled ribs. I cooked 'em both at ~235-240 degrees unfoiled for about 3.5 hours, foiled one slab with a little S. Carolina Mustard Sauce and left the other slab alone. After about an hour in the foil, I released the foiled slab and put it back on the grill to firm and color up.

Here's a pic:

Let me know if you can tell by the picture which one was foiled and which one wasn't:

Here's a pic of the "bite test" on individual bones from each slab:

There was a slight difference, but in the end, not enough to make me change my ways - just yet anyway.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #6771
Sugar-T
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

my guess is the set close to the bottom in both pics is the foiled?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #6772
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
top rack saw no foil?
Good eye.

The top rack was left unfoiled, the bottom rack was foiled. In the bite test, the ribs from the racks were reversed: The Top bone was foiled, the bottom bone was not.

The unfoiled rib had more consistent texture, but the foiled rib was a little juicier.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #6773
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My UDS

I already posted a separate thread about my new UDS but thought I should post some thanks in the mother/master thread as well. Sorry for the redundance.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for a reason to build a UDS as I’m completely happy charcoal water smoker guy. You guys urged me on and I finally found some time to build it while raising 2 toddlers and being blessed with newborn twins. I read about the first 200 pages of the master thread (plenty of time in the hospital) and took notes. I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what to do. It took a lot of time to get through, but the reward was that the assembly was pretty painless.

Some of my observations on the build:
· Costs can add up. Man, stainless gets expensive! I was still able to build a smoker I’m proud of for less than $200.
· The Harbor Freight stepped drill bit lasted at least this one build. I feel like I got my money’s worth.
· A jig saw going through porcelain coated steel of the Weber base is as LOUD as all get out. Glasses and earplugs are necessary.
· The burn was fun because fire is cool! However, I thought I’d want to sit around and watch it but the burning exterior paint fumes suggested otherwise.
· The most complicated part of the build is the charcoal basket. Tying the expanded metal with rebar wire is a slight pain. Welders probably have an advantage here. I also had a hard time finding expanded metal and think I ultimately overpaid for it at Metals Supermarket.
· The UDS moved pretty well on the wheels. I need to add some handles though.
· I was surprised by nothing. The thread was extensive and I was confident that what I was doing was going to work. And it did.
· Pointing out to my wife while watching BBQ Pitmasters that a BBQ champ like Bigmista was using a UDS, just like the one I was building, was pretty cool.
· I definitely felt a sense of pride in making it myself. I am excited to show people pictures of it.

The next planned mods are a large White Sox logo and a shelf with hooks for tongs and a beer opener (of course). The shelf can act as a handle for me to push the UDS around on the big wheels. I also need to put a handle of some sort on my charcoal basket.

I smoked a fatty Sunday to season it. Found that the dial thermometer on the side read about 15° hotter than the temperature in the center. Had one ¾” plug removed and the ball valve opened ¼ of the way to maintain a 240° for a couple hours. It was a short run but I was impressed with the consistency.

I can’t wait to get more experience with it.

Big thanks to the Brethren for the expertise. I’m really glad that I found your site. Besides the UDS, I’ve learned about MOINKs, ABT’s, Chuckies, etc. Man, I didn’t know what I was missing. Thanks for the knowledge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done for now.jpg (43.8 KB, 777 views)
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #6774
Gonesledn
Knows what a fatty is.

pork butt and a chuck roast...

Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #6775
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

My latest mod on my SSUDS is adding toggle clamps to close the intakes. The red disc is silicone rubber- good to 600 degrees. I ordered SS toggle clamps; the one's in the pics are regular steel. I wanted to make sure they worked well before I shelled out for SS. One thing i discovered is that I can open and close them with my foot, so the old phart doesn't have to bend over!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #6776
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Where can I get regular steel or galvanized toggle clamps? I think they are REALLY cool
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #6777
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-rich View Post
Where can I get regular steel or galvanized toggle clamps? I think they are REALLY cool
cheap ones: Harbor Freight
Others: McMaster Carr
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #6778
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post
I already posted a separate thread about my new UDS but thought I should post some thanks in the mother/master thread as well. Sorry for the redundance.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for a reason to build a UDS as I’m completely happy charcoal water smoker guy. You guys urged me on and I finally found some time to build it while raising 2 toddlers and being blessed with newborn twins. I read about the first 200 pages of the master thread (plenty of time in the hospital) and took notes. I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what to do. It took a lot of time to get through, but the reward was that the assembly was pretty painless.

Some of my observations on the build:
· Costs can add up. Man, stainless gets expensive! I was still able to build a smoker I’m proud of for less than $200.
· The Harbor Freight stepped drill bit lasted at least this one build. I feel like I got my money’s worth.
· A jig saw going through porcelain coated steel of the Weber base is as LOUD as all get out. Glasses and earplugs are necessary.
· The burn was fun because fire is cool! However, I thought I’d want to sit around and watch it but the burning exterior paint fumes suggested otherwise.
· The most complicated part of the build is the charcoal basket. Tying the expanded metal with rebar wire is a slight pain. Welders probably have an advantage here. I also had a hard time finding expanded metal and think I ultimately overpaid for it at Metals Supermarket.
· The UDS moved pretty well on the wheels. I need to add some handles though.
· I was surprised by nothing. The thread was extensive and I was confident that what I was doing was going to work. And it did.
· Pointing out to my wife while watching BBQ Pitmasters that a BBQ champ like Bigmista was using a UDS, just like the one I was building, was pretty cool.
· I definitely felt a sense of pride in making it myself. I am excited to show people pictures of it.

The next planned mods are a large White Sox logo and a shelf with hooks for tongs and a beer opener (of course). The shelf can act as a handle for me to push the UDS around on the big wheels. I also need to put a handle of some sort on my charcoal basket.

I smoked a fatty Sunday to season it. Found that the dial thermometer on the side read about 15° hotter than the temperature in the center. Had one ¾” plug removed and the ball valve opened ¼ of the way to maintain a 240° for a couple hours. It was a short run but I was impressed with the consistency.

I can’t wait to get more experience with it.

Big thanks to the Brethren for the expertise. I’m really glad that I found your site. Besides the UDS, I’ve learned about MOINKs, ABT’s, Chuckies, etc. Man, I didn’t know what I was missing. Thanks for the knowledge!
I have read this whole forum too and I built a UDS with all the advice given, but I must have missed what a "Chuckie" was. Can you help me out. Sounds good. Thanks. Totally agree with your post. Disreguard I found them on the Roadmap. I will doing some off those in the near future

Last edited by Jay871; 09-21-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #6779
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I have read this whole forum too and I built a UDS with all the advice given, but I must have missed what a "Chuckie" was. Can you help me out. Sounds good. Thanks. Totally agree with your post. Disreguard I found them on the Roadmap. I will doing some off those in the near future
It is a chuck roast. Great for making pulled beef.

Or, its a small, demonically possessed doll.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #6780
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
It is a chuck roast. Great for making pulled beef.

Or, its a small, demonically possessed doll.
I need to try one again... my first Chuckie was the first piece of meat I did on my UDS, and it didn't survive the combination of temp spikes and my scattermindedness. ;-)
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker