MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
tajt7757
On the road to being a farker

Default Used 22"wsm or new Acorn

I'm puzzled about this choice. I want a vertical smoker and I'm torn between to two. Found a like new 22" wsm on Craigslist for 250. Or an acorn for 299.
Has anyone found the acorns on sale anywhere?

BBQ quandary !

Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

What other smokers and grills do you have? The WSM is primarily a smoker while the Acorn is more versatile, but has less capacity.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I purchased two Akorn's after the 4th of July at Kroger for $149.00 each. I have one still in the box on the floor of my garage.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

the WSM will produce some of the best food you have ever cooked. low and slow or hot and fast. the WSM is a winner.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
tajt7757

I have a 25 year old Oklahoma joe offset that smokes a mean piece of meat with lots of attention. Have a weber performer , holland grill , weber gasser. As you can see a need another smoker.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

I like my WSM, however I only use it for big cooks. My Eggs, XL, Med & Small have become my everyday cookers. The Akorn, from what I gather, is very similar to the eggs. I would probably go for that because the versatility is better, but the volume is less. Check JMSetzler's stuff on this forum, he did a few videos about the Akorn.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
tajt7757

Yak you got a great deal on the acorn for 149.
I live in Dallas. I have only seen them at Lowes.
I don't know if they ever put them on sale.
Hav I think your right the 22 wsm is a large cooker and I would probably get more use from a smaller acorn.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

$250 is a good price for a like new 22 1/2" WSM (they are $399 new). If you can negotiate it down a bit, it would be even better.

I have both an 18 1/2" and a 22 1/2" WSM, what more can I say?

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
johnnysmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have both an 18 1/2" and a 22 1/2" WSM, what more can I say?

Bob

Sorry to the op but i need too ask bob something. Bob is there a big differenc between the 18.5 to the 22.5 other them more room on the 22.5
johnnysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 for WSM but i'm sure neither is poor choice.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysmoke View Post
Sorry to the op but i need too ask bob something. Bob is there a big differenc between the 18.5 to the 22.5 other them more room on the 22.5
Besides for size, they both cook and handle the same.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
mbshop
Babbling Farker

one thing is to remember the portability issue. if you have plans to move it then the weber is better.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

A lot depends on who you are cooking for. I have an 18.5" WSM, a performer, + 3 kettles, and have been cooking on Webers for 30+ years. Since I bought my Akorn in March I haven't used any of them. Mainly I cook for just my wife and myself.

Some advantages of the Akorn are they are not as susceptible to wind and cold. Because of the design I feel comfortable having it on a wooden deck off of my kitchen without worrying about causing a fire. And it is a fuel miser.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Like others have said, the WSM is a fantastic vertical smoker, but won't help you grill.

If your goal is to have a larger capacity smoker and already have a kettle or similar for grilling, go WSM.

If you want a do-it-all cooker and are less concerned about volume or capacity, consider the Acorn and be ready to modify it if you find it has significant air leaks, per brethren JMSeltzer's Man Cave Meals YouTube tutorials.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote