MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #106
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

This is a great pictue.

Great looking chicken and Scarlett is going to love the redhots.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #107
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Official Entry

Well I've been good all week. I've counted calories and exercised every day since Monday. As soon I'm done with this post I'm off to the bike trail to burn off my meatballs.

I crave sweet and spicy. I love to find that perfect balance of sweet to heat. Since I've been trying to diet I also wanted to find something that would be a great bite but a small portion.

I did the Google and found a Sweet and Spicy Meatball recipe that was perfect.

First the balls.

I picked my favorite balls and threw them in the egg. The rest I froze for another day.

Now for the Jalapeno sauce

As I was walking through the store thinking about the recipe a spotted a mango. I decided my little sweet and spicy meatballs could use some fresh mangoes and jalapenos to go along for the ride

The mango was not quite as ripe as I thought so I threw it in with the sauce and balls for just a few minutes so soften up a bit.

And put it all together

My perfect bite

This was fun and easy and will get added to the list of recipes to make when my brother is in town.

Thanks for looking.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #108
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Great sweet and spicy meatballs Ric... Love this shot!

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #109
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Your balls look delicious
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #110
caseydog

Default This is my official losing entry...

It looks like pineapple and jalapeños are popular in this TD.

I took the four biggest jalapeños in my garden, and made some bacon wrapped sweet/hot appetizers.

I started with jalapeños, whipped cream cheese, fresh pineapple, bacon, and brown sugar.

I cut the jalapeños in half, gutted the seeds and excess membrane, and stuffed them with my mix of diced pineapple and cream cheese. And, put a slice of fresh pineapple on top.

I wrapped them in bacon, and sprinkled them with brown sugar.

Then, on to the 18.5 OTG indirect to cook until the bacon was done.

And here is the finished product, with some extra pineapple-cream cheese with cayenne pepper for dipping.

Bon Appétit!

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #111
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default My Official Entry into the "Sweet and Spicy" TD

Please accept my official entry into the "Sweet and Spicy" TD named "Smoked Duck, Leg of Lamb and Mashed Sweet Potato".

Just happened to find a leg of lamb on special at the grocery store so added it as a side.

Picked up a traditionally raised Peking duck from the farmer's market that didn't make it into the smoker for Toast's "Something Fowl Comes This Way" TD. It occurred to me when this TD was called that I could do something with it now. And I wanted to eat that duck, too. I left looking up recipes online to the wee hours in the night before and found out that Peking duck needs to sit drying in the fridge for 3 days. Fark. The cook day I set aside got swallowed by other stuff so the new cook time got slotted to very early the next morning which ended up giving the duck about 30 or so hours drying out in the fridge. Score!

I really liked that we had everything needed for the cook already in the house. The duck was spiced with coarsely ground black, red and white peppercorns, Chinese 5-spice and coarse sea salt. The sauce was supposed to be honey, soy sauce, orange juice and water. Instead I made the sauce out of some bitter orange marmalade we made from a MaMade kit, the juice of one orange, the zest of one orange, sea salt and water. I consciously substituted the marmalade for the honey but totally forgot about the soy sauce/tamari until I saw it in my photo right now. Hmmmm. Glad I did what I did, it turned out stellar.

The thing about Peking duck is that the skin should be really, really bite through crispy. I was introduced to the idea of drying a bird out in the fridge (I think it was CD but not sure) to get crispy skin but didn't remember the whole 'sacred' tradition of Peking duck I saw on TV. One webpage said the Chinese separate the skin from the meat by blowing air through a straw. That poster also said he accomplished the separation well just by pulling them apart. I chose to pull it and use a knife for tougher spots. I was pressed for time so separated about 80 % of the skin from the bird and skipped the tedious work of doing that around the spine. I rubbed the meat with the salt/pepper/5-spice mixture under the skin then let it sit in the fridge again overnight. Most of the liquid came out in the first 24 hours. Before cooking you need to either dunk the bird in boiling water or pour boiling water over it. As far as I was concerned I was not dunking the bird in boiling water even if the poster I read said it didn't absorb the water. He did it both ways and weighed the results. I closed neck flap to keep boiling water out of the inside of the bird and wow, it really did tighten that pulled-off slack skin like a glove. Huh.

The lamb was rubbed with ginger, garlic, dry rosemary, cayenne, cumin, onion powder and coarse sea salt.

Since the duck was sleeping overnight in the fridge naked I thought the lamb should join it. Never know, might kick it's game up a notch.

Didn't remember to take a picture when Dragona was crowded with a lamb leg, an erect duck, two sweet potatoes and a dish of duck gizzards for our pup but did remember to take a shot when the lamb was left with one sweet potato. I basted the duck with the sweet orange sauce a few times. What a beautiful beast.

I have to say that duck turned out amazing. Our kitchen is at one extreme end of the house. Didn't matter what room I was coming from and going to, after it had rested a bit every time I was on the move somehow it involved going through the kitchen, breaking off another piece of crispy skin and crunching it. Fark. Dipped in that amazing orangey sticky sweet sauce. Double fark. I am definitely doing this again. Crunch.

I had to go out so my partner pulled off the leg of lamb while I was out. When I returned I reheated slices of duck and lamb in the oven and I sauteed a couple of red onions in butter and added mashed sweet potato and sea salt. Great accompaniment, would do that again, too. The lamb was really delicious. I spent so much time on the duck I gave the lamb little more that a good rub and a good smoke and it turned out fantastic, too. It had a beautiful, deep smoke ring that my camera didn't convey.

Toast -- please note the homage to your missed TD embroidered on the tea towel.

Below is the duck lavished with orange sauce. Sweet and spicy.

Below is the lamb.

And the full meal. Please use the photo below as my voting photo.

Thanks for watching!!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #112
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

The Cute Kid Crutch is a Mighty Thing!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #113
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Fantastic Kathy! Complete with ERECT DUCK!

Great Entry!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #114
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Kathy's Smokin'

What a great tutorial and fantastic cook. Great post.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #115
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Excellent cook Kathy... I've never had either the duck or the lamb but your post makes me want to change that as soon as possible.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #116
fingerlickin'

Looks great Kathy you really went all out!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #117
fingerlickin'

Is it wrong that I've been thinking about Ric's balls all morning?

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #118
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Is it wrong that I've been thinking about Ric's balls all morning?
If it has been more than 4 hours then you should consult your doctor

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #119
fingerlickin'

Default This is my official entry Sweet and Spicy Wings.

I needed something to take to our friends house for a party before the Halloween parade. I figured why not do some Smoked Sweet and Spicy Wings.

I like to cut off the tips and make one slice through the skin at the joint. I think this helps let the skin shrink around the wing so you don't have that big flap of rubbery skin to deal with later.

For some sweet I used SM Sweet Seduction and for some spicy I threw on some SM Spicy Apple.

I rubbed up all the wings and got the egg going around 325* with some chunks of apple.

While the wings were smoking I mixed up the Sweet and Spicy sauce. In this case that was Patio Daddio's Finger Stickin' Chicken Sauce. This stuff is out of sight. A perfect blend of sweet an heat. You can find the recipe on John's fantastic blog here. Thanks Daddio!

Ingredients, I also mixed in a little molasses(not pictured) because I only had light brown sugar in the pantry.

About an hour or so later they wings were done. Lookin' pretty good!

They were more than well received at the party, I even had one guy tell me he was a wing expert and they were the best wings he's ever had, my buddy Bobby said he wanted to drink a cup of the sauce.

Money shot for the TD.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #120
colonel00

^^^Yes please!