Beef, Maillard Reaction, Baking Soda Experiment

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted a recipe I developed called "BlackHawk Brisket" for rubbing a hot and fast brisket with baking soda in order to achieve the best bark I could get while cooking hot and fast. The post is here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135353 .

There is some good discussion in that thread about what led me to put baking soda on a brisket. In a nutshell, it boils down to a way to speed up the Maillard reaction. Raising the PH of food speeds up the Maillard reaction and baking soda raises PH levels. Until now, I never dug into how much baking soda I needed. I figured I didn't need much so, I used about 2 pinches (3 half pinches) on briskets.

The discussion in the post led to PitMaster T conducting an experiment using baking soda on fried onions. The results are here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136179 .

Tonight, I decided to try the baking soda on grilled beef to see what results I would get.

I started with two choice ribeyes. I seasoned them with peanut oil, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. One of them has a toothpick in it. That is the one with the baking soda on it. I used proportionally the same amount that I put on my BlackHawk brisket.

picture.php

Here is a pic of the steaks after the flip. The one with the baking soda applied has a more even browning than the one without the baking soda.

picture.php

Here is the finished pic. Clearly, the one with the baking soda is more evenly browned and slightly darker.

picture.php

For the brethren who like to see the "$$$" shot, here are two.

picture.php

picture.php

Now, this single experiment doesn't prove that baking soda speeds up the Maillard process but it does indicate that more experimenting needs to be done.

Which is too bad. Now, I have to buy more steak to eat tomorrow. I don't know how I will break the news to my wife. "Dog on it, Dear, I just have to cook a few more steaks to get to the bottom of this baking soda thing. It's all in the name of food Science. :icon_smile_tongue:

Fark. Now I have to get some ribeyes.

Farker. :tsk:

But what must be done, must be done!

Or rare to medium rare anyway.

I've used a tiny bit of baking soda for an extra crunch on chicarrones.

The ribeyes look perfectly cooked!

This is not how I would have done it.

The open flames are not a controlled test.

I would have used the same steaks but did them on a flat grill on a lower temp than usual.

This is not how I would have done it.

The open flames are not a controlled test.

I would have used the same steaks but did them on a flat grill on a lower temp than usual.

Oh, crap! Another reason to cook steak! Well, I gotta do what I gotta do. :mrgreen:

Oh, crap! Another reason to cook steak! Well, I gotta do what I gotta do. :mrgreen:

Yes and Bob Brisket needs to redo it because he has a discada.... we want to be sure its not the square or rectangular deck that contributed to MR

Good science is never cheap. Have you applied for a grant? Let us know when you are ready to submit your paper. Charge on!

Back