Smoked Beef tounge & Cheek (Barbacoa) w/ pr0n..

snook806

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
got home from work at midnight and decided to smoke some tongue and cheek on the uds for Sunday morning barbacoa....seasoned with salt and pepper and left UN-foiled for about an hour and half to absorb a little hickory smoke then wrapped em and left them on for about 10 hours...just set the ique at 225 and went to bed.....first time cooking it this way and it turned out AWESOME......the wife (my biggest critic) loved it!!!! :clap:

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

Snook, I know cheek meat is a delicacy, but tongue? what is the texture/flavor like, Im sure it is good I just never have tried it? looks good tho at least the cheek does:shocked:

I got the cheek meat, can I make it with out tongue,and what else goes in barbacoa

Oh yeah!!! I'd some tacos of each!!! I gotta try making tongue that way. Looks awesome!

Bob

Tongue is actually really tasty stuff. If you treat it right it's VERY tender. It has a much stronger flavor than other cuts of beef. I make it for tacos with homemade corn tortillas about once every other month or so. Never had it smoked though. Looks great!

Did the hickory penetrate the skin on the tongue or did you have to take it off first?

looks great.. I'd love to try both.

Last time I had tongue it was in bollito misto (italian boiled dinner) my wife even tried and like the flavor... but she did not care for the texture

Looks great from here too!! I loooove beef cheeks. :becky:

Looks good. I have a recipe for cheeks in a wine sauce that is really tender and juicy. Never tried tongue. However , do the cheeks come out juicy and tender when smoked?

You guys must have had bad tongue. Theres a place near Chicago(actually I believe they closed), that makes some incredible tongue tacos!! I agree if done correctly it's outstanding. Wife doesn't like it though, so just depends on ones palate.

brickie

Smokeyokie, the best way to describe beef tongue is like the texture of a finely shredded pork butt that is very soft and a bit dry (if that makes any sense). you have to remove the skin around the tongue to shred the meat and then mix it with the meat from the cheek..the best way to eat it is by mixing the tongue and cheek together since the cheek meat has a lot of fat in it......it taste like a creamy buttery tender version of a brisket without all the rub that you would normally put on a brisket...that's the best way I can describe it but barbacoa can also include the eyes of the cow and the brains (which are also very tasty)...put the meat on a corn tortilla with onions, cilantro and hot sauce and you've got some gooooood eats....its like a tradition down here in south texas to have barbacoa every sunday...

My Grandma used to make the best tongue when I was growing up. I never even thought of smoking it but I will have to try it.

Back