MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Butts; Brine,Inject or Not?

I've had pretty good luck cooking butts the last couple of years, but I want to up my game. I will be cooking 14 butts for a benefit in a couple of weeks and was wondering if a brine or an injection would be in order.

My usual process is fairly basic. A rub, then into the pit, cap down, for the duration. I have been known to foil the butts at 165-170 once in a while, the only difference I've noticed is the cook time and color and texture of the bark.

What is the prevailing Brethern opinion on the relative benefits of brining and or injecting. (BTW I do brine my chicken and turkeys and love the way they turn out)

BD
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

If you're going to sauce everything, then the injection probably isn't needed. However, I prefer un-sauced pulled pork that's been injected so that the flavors get deep into the meat and it helps retain moisture.

For that reason above, I do inject.

As far as brining, I never found that it helped or changed much (ala. was a waste of effort).

I do foil and I foil for the exact reasons that you state above.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks I appreciate your input. I've never tried injecting but I might give it a go.
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

If you are serving a small # of people (which you aren't if you are cooking 14 butts) and want to impress - go with the Chris Lily recipe for cooking. It uses injection and foil. I know I am a northern boy and we don't get a lot of BBQ love up here but when I smoke a butt Chris Lily style... People just love it. I am inundated with compliments.

P.S
You can of course do this for a large # but it will take you some time to inject 14 butts. I would probably pass on the foil as well. Too much time spent to foil all those butts... plus you don't want to keep opening your cooker.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Quemaster
Knows what a fatty is.

I always inject butts to add moisture and a little extra flavor. I believe it produces a better product.

I have tried cooking boston butt once without injecting and still produced a good product. I do prefer the injected.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I inject for comps and foil in a pan all the time at around 160 degrees, or when the color is where I want it. But with that many butts on the smoker, I would NOT inject. Just my .02.

Good luck with your cook!!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Mixing up injections for a couple butts is one thing. No way would I inject cooking 14 butts. The difference will be subtle and not worth the effort IMO.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I've noticed a big difference in the amount of juices collected when I inject and foil over just foiling... Probably double the juice.

Try this, Inject 1/2 and foil them and just rub/ no foil the other 1/2, you can combine the pulled meat from the 2 types when done to get the best of both, darker color & better bark but also more juice and flavor. Also less work injecting and foiling only 1/2 of them...

I just use apple juice with a small amount of salt added to it for the injection
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Id make injection with a 2 gallons of apple juice plus salt and a few finely ground seasonings If you have the 2 in one packs just leave them in the plastic and shoot them up. I wouldnt worry about foiling for the reasons Jaskew82 says.

I just stab a hole and pull the nearly nearly 90% out and push the needle in 7-8 different angles pretty quickly. do this in 3-4 holes in each. This will get plenty of injection throughout the butt very quickly without it leaking out all over the place. Should only take 10 mintes. It will be worth it.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
DaChief
Babbling Farker

I inject but do not brine. With the number of butts you are cooking though, not sure I would do either.

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

I don't brine pork but I do inject the butts, using apple juice or a mixture of apple and cranberry juice. I hit several places on the butt and move it through different angles while injecting. I don't put too much in each spot or else it wants to squirt back out and is just wasted effort. It only takes a matter of second to do each butt.
I also foil, but as said above, 14 is a lot of butts to wrap. I know people that are vendors and sell pulled pork commercially, and even though they do a large number of butts at a time, they still foil them. Of course, they have their routine down pretty well. If you have a helper, I suppose you could get them pulled out of the smoker pretty quickly, maybe even just doing 3 or 4 at a time. Pull them out and get the lid closed quickly.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I didn't inject until this last year, and I've been liking the results of injecting with Chris Lily's recipe but with 1/2 the salt. I did it with 12 butts a few months ago for a fundraiser and moved every morsel of it. It will add time to yer cook, but that kind of thing never bothers me - if I think it's gonna make a better product, I'll do it regardless.

I think KnucklHed has a very interesting idea with doing 1/2 & 1/2. It's also a way for you to get a definitive observation on the benefits of injecting/not injecting and you can see what you like best. I've cooked a lot of butts over the years, but that run of 12 brought a lot of things into sharp focus for me, esp. when it comes to proper doneness, sufficient resting time, did everything render, etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboyette View Post
Id make injection with a 2 gallons of apple juice plus salt and a few finely ground seasonings If you have the 2 in one packs just leave them in the plastic and shoot them up. I wouldnt worry about foiling for the reasons Jaskew82 says.

I just stab a hole and pull the nearly nearly 90% out and push the needle in 7-8 different angles pretty quickly. do this in 3-4 holes in each. This will get plenty of injection throughout the butt very quickly without it leaking out all over the place. Should only take 10 mintes. It will be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I didn't inject until this last year, and I've been liking the results of injecting with Chris Lily's recipe but with 1/2 the salt. I did it with 12 butts a few months ago for a fundraiser and moved every morsel of it. It will add time to yer cook, but that kind of thing never bothers me - if I think it's gonna make a better product, I'll do it regardless.

I think KnucklHed has a very interesting idea with doing 1/2 & 1/2. It's also a way for you to get a definitive observation on the benefits of injecting/not injecting and you can see what you like best. I've cooked a lot of butts over the years, but that run of 12 brought a lot of things into sharp focus for me, esp. when it comes to proper doneness, sufficient resting time, did everything render, etc.
Just curious, was his recipe just too salty or did you cut it back for another reason?
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser

Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I actually cut back on the salt after reading some posts on here. I started with 1/2 the amt. of salt, tasted it, and it was clear to me that adding more salt was not something I wanted to do - the decision was based on taste.

If I understand correctly, his recipe is a comp recipe and apparently comp recipes tend to exaggerate flavors in order to make an impression on judges with one or 2 bites.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Having cooked cases of pork butt for events (both as a solo and group cooks)... haven't found a reason to inject or brine butts.
The additional steps, timetable, labor, and capacity for a liquid mess didn't intrigue me... since butts are far from a dry piece of meat.

However I do add a cocktail mixture of various flavors during the pulling of the pork.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote