Sauce Question

O

Oldbob

The closest place to a BBQ Joint we have in town is a "BackYard BBQ" place...I assume that it is a Chain Type establishment...they sell BBQ Sauce there...but it is in Quart Styrofoam containers...I was just wondering if the sauce could be transfered to Ball jars and "Pressure Canned"...or would just a "Water Bath" Canning method be enough:?: or maybe neither method would be safe.The sauces are Pretty good...so I am just looking at a Longer Term storage soultion.

Depends on the acidity (PH). Most sauces have enough acid from the tomatoe and vinegar that they can be canned with the hot water bath method. You could just freeze to be safe.

I second kevin's advice. Freezing would be the simplest and safest method for long term storage.

Bob,

gotta agree with joe and kevin. I mean you can go thru the hassle of canning this stuff, but I wouldn't about it unless you are hard up for freezer space.

gary

To make it unanimous so far: Freeze it. the KISS answer.

Thanks Guys...Looks like Freezing is the way I will go...Once again..Thanks

I tried freezing some of my own sauce....only made it to slushy....would not freeze, checked temps...15 below 0......I guess to much sugar.

jpw23 said:
I tried freezing some of my own sauce....only made it to slushy....would not freeze, checked temps...15 below 0......I guess to much sugar.
You're not using ethelyene glycol in it are you?

bbqjoe said:
You're not using ethelyene glycol in it are you?

You mean you're not supposed to use that? Next you'll be telling me not to put so much crack and meth in em:biggrin:

jpw23 said:

I make a sauce that does the same thing. Lots of sugar and corn syrup. It is really thick but still liquid.

I suppose it will still keep like that , after all...its well below freezing.

jpw23 said:
I suppose it will still keep like that , after all...its well below freezing.

I've kept it for months and never had a problem. I use it as a glaze for ribs. The only time I've dumped any is when I found some at the back of the freezer and the color just wasn't right.

Edit: And there is enough acidity from tomatoes that it should be very stable as well.

I think between the tomatoes and the amount of vinegar I use, there should never be a problem.

Back