MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
PWHiltz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Looking forward to Abe's Soon

I ordered mine late in March. Kevin knows I don't need it until Mid-May. I've been to the shop a couple of times and they are really getting into a production mode. It started out with Kevin doing it all himself and demand has required him to add a couple of people.

They are making a really class style smoker. If you haven't considered Abes, you can also get pellet feeders, charcoal feeders, Guru adapters and ports, water feeder for the tray as well.

I intend on making a lot of money with my 60" Boss Smoker over course of the summer.
PWHiltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #17
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamar View Post
I too have one of the Abe's Smokers (the 60" model). It is very well built and weighs in at 475 pounds. I am local to Kevin's shop so I stopped by and took a look before buying. Everything is high quality with the walls filled with ceramic wool insulation that makes holding temp very easy. We had the harshest winter on record for the Detroit area with many days near 20 below zero temps. This cooker performed even in those temps. I am pulling together the cash for the guru and the wifi contoller to make the "system" even more automatic. It is a great purchase.
Lucky you! Most of us have to go off pictures and advice from fellow Brethren. When I ordered mine there were not many people here that had one. It took me about a year to actually decide which builder I would buy from. After talking to Kevin several times I felt like I made a good decision. Now that I have it and can see the quality I know I made the correct decision. He is even taking care of the damage that the shipper caused. It is not going to be cheap to sandblast and re-powdercoat the whole thing.
Let us know how much better it works with the guru. It would be nice to have someone else experiment and use their $$$.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
alamar
Found some matches.

Don't know why I got a double post but it is what it is.....Here are pics of my first cook of ribs and my first brisket cook

The ribs at wrapping time and then the residue with a lone survivor.... 20140323_171310.jpg

20140323_203607.jpg

The brisket is about 6 hours in...
20140329_134505.jpg

A few of the insides of the smoker....
20140326_174859.jpg
20140326_174905.jpg
alamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWHiltz View Post
I ordered mine late in March. Kevin knows I don't need it until Mid-May. I've been to the shop a couple of times and they are really getting into a production mode. It started out with Kevin doing it all himself and demand has required him to add a couple of people.

They are making a really class style smoker. If you haven't considered Abes, you can also get pellet feeders, charcoal feeders, Guru adapters and ports, water feeder for the tray as well.

I intend on making a lot of money with my 60" Boss Smoker over course of the summer.
That is great that you are local and don't have to pay shipping. Good luck with your business!
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Indybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Mine gets delivered tomorrow!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #21
pjtexas1

Alamar - do you think you could fit 2 briskets per rack? I don't have 2 briskets to test fit right now.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #22
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indybbq View Post
Mine gets delivered tomorrow!
I was wondering when you would join the party. If it went anything like my delivery...it will be a day late and then 3 hours late on the day they finally deliver it. Not Kevin's fault but man was it drving me crazy. You will not require any caffiene tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
You are probably right, especially one on wheels. However, you did mention that it was heavy I think. Could be a deciding factor if you locked the wheels and limited his intake of "adult beverages"!

Blessings,
Omar
We forgot Blu...he is the closest one to me. I would be honored to learn something from that wiley old bbq veteran! I drive thru Jonesboro every few months and there is not much there besides peace and quiet. He needs something besides cows to look at every now and then.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Indybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I was wondering when you would join the party. If it went anything like my delivery...it will be a day late and then 3 hours late on the day they finally deliver it. Not Kevin's fault but man was it drving me crazy. You will not require any caffiene tomorrow.
Well since I live somewhat close Kevin is driving it down to me. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #25
PWHiltz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Alamar - do you think you could fit 2 briskets per rack? I don't have 2 briskets to test fit right now.
I'm thinking you should be able to fit two to a rack on it. The height is there if the point is removed and you are dealing with the flat

Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #26
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWHiltz View Post
I'm thinking you should be able to fit two to a rack on it. The height is there if the point is removed and you are dealing with the flat
maybe two 7lb flats...maybe. two 14lb packers forget about it

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #27
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Congrats and enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayHill View Post
maybe two 7lb flats...maybe. two 14lb packers forget about it
You nailed it. I have a 14.5lb brisket and a 5lb flat. They fit on a rack. 2 14lb packers would require you have them smashed together like 1 large brisket. 2 10lb-12lb packers would fit better. That works for me because I normally cook small briskets and big flats. I measured ribs too. BB can fit 3 on a rack and KC/St Louis 2 on a rack. I don't have any butts in the freezer.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #29
bigben800
Got Wood.

Just guestimating how many butts do you think would fit on a rack?
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben800 View Post
Just guestimating how many butts do you think would fit on a rack?
I think 4 would fit. Mine has 3.5 inches between racks except the top rack which has 4.5 inches of clearance from the top.