5.5 lbs of Boston Butt

2Bulldogs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This was my first overnight smoke. It proves precision of a well built UDS. I put it on the smoker at 9PM and took it off at 7 am with a temp of 220. It started off at 250 which was to high for my liking and I shut down my valve and it still shot up to 270 or so around 10:30 so I shut it down more and it leveled back off at around 235...I prefer 220-200. I never took off the lid once. When I did at 7am I tried to turn it over to crisp up the top side and it started to fall apart....WHOOO HOOOO!!!

I then wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a cooler for 4 hours. I was so excited to shred it I forgot to take a pic of the finished product, but here it is half way through shredding it.

I also put on two 8" logs of Apple Wood. They were about the size of a very large piece of lump.

SU1BRzA0MjIuanBn-1.jpg

SU1BRzA0MjMuanBn-1.jpg

Thanks.

Now if I can just get the Brisket down. I don't want to foil while on the smoker, but I think that is what I am going to have to do to get it to temp with out dry it out. Now if the price will drop below 35 bucks Ill try it...lol

That looks delicious... I admire you guys who have the skills and patience to build and cook on a UDS :)

Nice looking PP there!

Really no patience involved when cooking on a UDS, start fire, wait 20 minutes, drop meat, drink lots of goodies while waiting for meat to cook. Nothing like a stick burner in terms of constant attention, I just peek at the thermometer once or twice an hour :)

El Ropo hit it. It is very easy and I proved it to myself this weekend. I got up two or three times, but never again. In fact I am going to start smoking in the morning and take it off when I get home. I am this confident in my UDS now.

Thanks for the compliments. It tasted as good as it looked. I used the Oakmans Rub recipe off this website as well.

Back