Say it aint so.

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK, I put a 13 1/2 pound turkey in the drum at approx 6:30am.According to my probe (2 of them) the breast is already at 165. Someone made a run to grab another thermometer.

The one a did a couple weeks ago took about 40-45 minutes a pound. At 20 minutes apound, the dog will get this one and I will grab another to start at noon today.

Why give it to the dog? (not that he/she doesn't deserve it :-D). Carve it and freeze the meat for another day and save the carcass for stock for gravy.

OK, I put a 13 1/2 pound turkey in the drum at approx 6:30am.According to my probe (2 of them) the breast is already at 165. Someone made a run to grab another thermometer.

The one a did a couple weeks ago took about 40-45 minutes a pound. At 20 minutes apound, the dog will get this one and I will grab another to start at noon today.

How hot is that drum running? Seems more like an oven...

Does it look done?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

How hot is that drum running? Seems more like an oven...

Does it look done?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

The drum has been holding a pretty good 240. Unfortunately the wing tips look very done but that is nothing to use as a gauge. Overall she does look fairly close. The bird I did earlier had been a frozen one. This one was fresh and actually didnt look as plump as the first one but the weight of the two was within a half a pound.

We are not eating until 4 this afternoon so I am thinking I will wrap it and put in a hot cooler, then leave it wrapped and either set it on the offset or in the oven just before we eat.

Any suggestions on how to save this sucker?

The drum has been holding a pretty good 240. Unfortunately the wing tips look very done but that is nothing to use as a gauge. Overall she does look fairly close. The bird I did earlier had been a frozen one. This one was fresh and actually didnt look as plump as the first one but the weight of the two was within a half a pound.

We are not eating until 4 this afternoon so I am thinking I will wrap it and put in a hot cooler, then leave it wrapped and either set it on the offset or in the oven just before we eat.

Any suggestions on how to save this sucker?

"Fresh" turkeys cook faster. More than likely when you purchase a fresh one they have not been "enhanced."

In my opinion it's the only way to buy a turkey. I for one would pull that baby off and save the meat for another day.

The only thing that's better than one fresh smoked turkey is two fresh smoked turkeys! What a shame about the last-minute scramble, but honestly, having another entire turkey's worth of meat for leftovers won't be a bad thing.

I once again relocated the probe, to the thigh and is setting at 155. I think I can make this work if I cooler it and bring it back up on the offset wrapped. If not, I have one big ass ham to feed 'em!

Back