Any ideas?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Probably too late now. My wife just figured out she could go to a comp april 4 and 5 but now its full. She feels terrible I told her not to worry about it stuff happens. Anyways yeah so now I am looking to try to find a last minute competition but probably there is nothing out there at this point. I probably just tell work that I don't need off from work but if you know anything that I can drive to and get there let me know asap as long as there are spots available. If not we will just have to try to plan on another one later in the year. Backyard or pro either is fine as we haven't done our first competition yet. I am thinking we are going to do an event up by us on May 10 a backyard contest. I tell you it is hard to plan competitions around work schedules. We would have been good but she got a new job and did not find out she would be free until today. Oh well we will get into one eventually. Now I just have to focus on the backyard contest on May 10 I know we can do that one for sure. Plus top prize is $500 in meat. Categories being ribs and chicken and chef's choice. I am going to call about getting our forms in now so that we don't get screwed up again.

Talk to the organizer about being placed on a waiting list in the event somebody cancels and a spot opens...or get on the KCBS website and search the events for one that fits your criteria. There seems to always be a comp somewhere, just depends how far you want to drive.

There's a great contest in Summerville Georgia on that weekend if you're up for a drive...

Not sure what is close, but this is from the KCBS site:

04/04/14
to
04/05/14 Rockahock's Pickin' and Pullin' Festival Lanexa, VA
Contact: Steve Long Phone: 804-814-5470. stevelong@rockahock.com
KCBS Reps: ROBERT MCKEE, JOHN G BUSCH
Prize Money: $5500.00

Here are the KCBS closest to your area that weekend. Hopefully, you can find one of these that will take you. If you get to Evansville, IN I'll try to look you up!

Good luck!

Smokin on the River (GBC & SBBQA Qualifier) Summerville, GA
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Contact: Roxie Weesner Phone: 706-506-9514. rweesner@hotmail.com
KCBS Reps: SUSAN REID, DOUG REID
Prize Money: $10000.00

2nd Annual Parkinson's Smoke Out Evansville, IN
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Contact: Robert Morphew Phone: 812-893-1216. robertwmorphew@yahoo.com
KCBS Reps: LINDA POLAND, ERNEST POLAND, RACHEL SCHUETZ
Prize Money: $10000.00

Fourth Annual Bull Moose Somerville, TN
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Contact: Marvin Hurley Phone: 901-282-6138. mdhurley1957@yahoo.com
KCBS Reps: WAYNE LOHMAN, MARIA LOHMAN
Prize Money: $5000.00

Rockahock's Pickin' and Pullin' Festival Lanexa, VA
Contact: Steve Long Phone: 804-814-5470. stevelong@rockahock.com
KCBS Reps: ROBERT MCKEE, JOHN G BUSCH
Prize Money: $5500.00

Parkinson's is also full :)

Yeah I saw that one just was too far away and hard to plan for. My grandfather had Parkinson's he passed 2 years ago hard to believe he is gone. Hopefully they do that contest again next year I would really love to go. It is a great cause. For now I got back on the work schedule and axed my vacation for now. Going to try backyard for now and maybe a pro spot before winter comes again. Just couldn't find anything such short notice that was workable. Thanks guys.

Rockahock is a first year contest. It's held in an RV park, so they probably have lots of space.

If you are open to the following weekend, Triple Threat in Delaware still has competition applications up on their site.

Both are less than a day drive from Butler, PA.

I'm considering doing the Whiting "comp" as well. I did it a couple years ago and it was a good time. I would do it again this year, but most of my cookers will be tied up in NY until mid June so I would have to rely on my trusty stick burner if I wanted to do it.

I will be running weber kettle grills to smoke my meat. What can I say my wife is right I am a weber kettle fanatic. Maybe I will see you there then.

I will be running weber kettle grills to smoke my meat. What can I say my wife is right I am a weber kettle fanatic. Maybe I will see you there then.

The wife asked me the other day to teacher how to run the 270 Smoker, so I figured what better way to teach her while under the pressure of competition. This will be her first time cooking a comp, but I'll be there to pitch b*tch and for moral support.

Back