Saturday's Rib/Chicken Comp Practice Pics

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been practicing my chicken since my last turn in was horrible. Did another practice on Saturday along with ribs which have done pretty well so far for me. I think my chicken practicing is paying off since I really like this last run. Looking forward to seeing what the judges think in a few week. I didn't get pictures of every step, but here is what I have to share.

Comments/tips definitely welcome on the finished chicken product. I think I may need some work on the color consistency. Thanks for looking.

Ribs rubbed down.
2011-08-13_09-44-15_760.jpg

Pretty good bite through on the ribs. I was happy.
2011-08-13_15-56-32_749.jpg

Here is the chicken I just put in the margarine/seasoning and about to go in the smoker. I only did 8 pieces from what came in the pack. I'll do maybe double this at the next competition.
2011-08-13_14-13-28_507.jpg

Here it is done. I was really happy with how it looked compared to where I started. The pieces are a lot more uniform in size so I may be getting better at trimming.
2011-08-13_16-11-26_375.jpg

Good bite through. They were yummy.
2011-08-13_16-16-22_325.jpg

You are going to have to share the details of your technique and recipe for me to properly evaluate them.

You are going to have to share the details of your technique and recipe for me to properly evaluate them.

Scraped the chicken skin, rubbed down the chicken before i put the skin back on then skin back on and rub on the skin. Cooked them in the smoker for about 50mins at 250 in the pan with margarine. Then onto the rack, sauced and cooked for another 40ish minutes. Then eat.

They look mighty good! They were done after an hour and a half at 250*? Skin looks pretty good but I always struggle at lower temps to get good skin.

Scraped the chicken skin, rubbed down the chicken before i put the skin back on then skin back on and rub on the skin. Cooked them in the smoker for about 50mins at 250 in the pan with margarine. Then onto the rack, sauced and cooked for another 40ish minutes. Then eat.

I was just kidding, bro, but thanks! :-D

It all looks really good! :clap2: Remember, comp ribs do best perfectly tender but do better slightly too tender than under-tender. Also, remove any dark/black spots from the chicken.

They look mighty good! They were done after an hour and a half at 250*? Skin looks pretty good but I always struggle at lower temps to get good skin.

I bumped the temp a little at the end. I would say it was probably closer to an hour 45mins.

Those thighs look very good!

Thanks. This was the first time I bought thighs that I thought were all a little big, but found out it actually makes trimming them all to the same size easier than starting with somewhat smaller thighs. Can't add meat to smaller pieces :p

Back