Pork shoulder+Weber 26.75 = help please

Thespanishgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a 8 lb'r and would like to try it out on the kettle. I'm not sure which way to go with fuel. Seems like it should need 8-10 hours low and slow ? What do you recommend for fuel layout. I'm using Kingsford Comp

Hey all,

Just picked up a 8 lb'r and would like to try it out on the kettle. I'm not sure which way to go with fuel. Seems like it should need 8-10 hours low and slow ? What do you recommend for fuel layout. I'm using Kingsford Comp

For something as large as the 26.75" I would probably go with a 2 deep/2 tall 1/2 ring of fire with the meat in the middle of the grate. Turn the meat 180 degrees 1/2 way through the cook.

Just in case you are new to the snake method Billy mentioned:

fuse_in_kettle.jpg

I've tried a few variations of it, but by no means experienced. Thanks for the recommendation, with this setup how are you setting top and bottom vents, what temp will this typically yield and how long will it burn ?

Thanks

That looks good, I've got some fire bricks too, hard to see what's lit coal, did you just light a bit and start it between the brick and the coal ? How long do you think it will run for ?

Thanks

That looks good, I've got some fire bricks too, hard to see what's lit coal, did you just light a bit and start it between the brick and the coal ? How long do you think it will run for ?

Thanks

You can put a lot of lump in one half of a 26". Don't know how long burn time but run it about 275, foil or not foil at 165 internal and pull off at 200 internal, wrap and rest at least an hour. We sometimes just use 2 starter cubes or we sometimes light a few coals in chimney starter and use the minion method of putting the few lit coals on top.

Hmm what to do what to do. Guess I'll have to try it both ways. Ralphs was blowing them out so back to the store for another

Thanks

I've tried a few variations of it, but by no means experienced. Thanks for the recommendation, with this setup how are you setting top and bottom vents, what temp will this typically yield and how long will it burn ?

Thanks

Top vent wide open. Bottom wide open until you get within about 20 degrees of target temp and then choke it down to about half open. You can get 250-275 consistent for 8 hours with this method. The nice thing is if you don't need all of the charcoal, you can save the stuff that doesn't get lit. Banking the charcoal will light it all whether you need it or not.

It looks like you have your plan already, good deal.

In my One Touch style kettles, I generally use the snake method with briquettes 2/2/1. I have problems with temperature getting out of control with the minion method. I just put the meat on the opposite side as the lit coals, and move the cooking grate around about half way through, it rotates easy enough. The 26" builds a nice long snake with its big diameter.

Just in case you are new to the snake method Billy mentioned:

fuse_in_kettle.jpg

Yep, I set mine up like this on my 22.5. Once it is lit and the temp hits around 250, I shut down the bottom vent to 1/2 or maybe a little less. This set-up as pictured, sould give you about a 7-9 hour burn in the 250-275 range depending on wind and such. After you try this a few times, I think you'll like it, it produces a nice consistent burn.

KC

Been rolling at 260-270 solid but the snake is almost gone. Guess I might have to reload the snake and wrap ?
4 hours in .. suggestions ?

Sorry for the poor picture, bit a drama going along with it. The snake started at the bottom of the picture and went all the way around to the top of the butt. 2x2 with a few chunks of wood.

Back