Brisket prices through the roof

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Stopped by Costco to grab a couple things and saw the prime packers were up to 3.99/lb...were 3.29/lb last time i was there and 2.79/lb earlier in the year...yikes. makes me not feel bad at all for buying that Creekstone Farms brisket at 4.19/lb. All the cut steaks in the cooler had zero marbling. Wonder how much all the cattle lost in the midwest flooding is going to change things this summer.

Get ready for pork to increase too with the African Swine Flu in Asia.

ee1.gif

I’m pretty much a choice brisket -Prime steak cook. Mac6 44Farms Creekstone at the Wal is not necessarily bad news IMHO. As for commodity prices I’m guessing a number of things. Demand for higher quality meat by more knowledgeable consumers,Natural disasters, domestic and international demand and politics.

It’s sll connected. Stay flexible some cut of meat will be reasonably priced

As far as Costco goes, there are times of the year prices for briskets go up and it's generally this time, though it seems earlier and faster than usual. The highest I recall seeing over the past several years was $3.79/lb. To go from $3.29 to $3.99 in April seems unusual.

The price of beef is going up due to the loss of over a million head in the floods in NE earlier this year.

same down here, massive drought in some areas and massive floods that followed.

While they are still working on decreasing the tariffs, China has bought 170,000 metric tons of pork from the U.S. alone this year compared to around 9k all of last year. I really think everything is fixing to go up, did will be the new currency in the future.

Actually that's most of Asia's international economic policy. They already own Swift. A company from Thailand I think bought over if Canada's largest pork producers just the other day.

Brisket is also being used more and more as an ingredient in other stuff. I'm now seeing those tubes of ground beef that also have a "ground brisket for chili" option. Every time you see brisket used in something else is one less brisket available for BBQ.

You're lucky! I went to the butcher shop last weekend....$5.25/lb for brisket!!

and for gits and shiggles.... Ribeye- 13.99lb, Bone in is a dollar cheaper, Beef ribs $6.95lb, Pork belly $4.99lb, Pork ribs$4.99lb

NY Strip treated right is always on sale somewhere, tasty too. I don’t think if brisket as exploded in price until everything in the bin is 55$ north. You can take all the grading off a brisket and Ill still pick the same one. But if a bin is labeled choice it draws me like a moth to flame. My experience is less trimming waste, nice marbling. On the occasional purchase by The Bride in my absence I just advise usda choice 10-13# 14# tops. Never disappointed. I’ll grab a prime For entertainment purposes. On this forum it’s quite common to cook till it’s done cook by looks and feel. Looks and feel- I select beef the same way. But $55-$60 brisket of any grade seldom find their way into my basket

and for gits and shiggles.... Ribeye- 13.99lb, Bone in is a dollar cheaper, Beef ribs $6.95lb, Pork belly $4.99lb, Pork ribs$4.99lb

Same here in NJ :cry:

Man, I miss the days of $0.99/lb brisket. It was select, but still you could do well with it. Hell, when I started I never even saw such a thing as Choice let alone Prime.

Yeah thats a bummer, I feel for you guys that have limited meat options. If I were ever to move to another part of the country one of the selection criteria high on my list would be plentiful affordable meat options...too spoiled now. :becky:

Back