MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default your opinion on the minion burn

Just curious how many use it and if they like it compared to other methods such as re-stoking the fire every hour or so with all lit charcoal?

I prefere the second, i have noticed that with the minion burn, as the un-lit charcoal begins to pre heat and light, it gives off some weird flavors. maybe i need more wood to cover the flavor from the un-lit charcoal heating up. haha

Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I love it but will wait about an hour before the meat goes on- by then the igniter smoke seems to be over with.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

Some people can taste it, some can't. I can and dont like it. That's why I use lump charcoal for my cooks. I'm just assuming that your talking about briquettes. I have always thought if you don't like the way it smells when it burns why would you want to cook the food with it?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

Leaving out a lot of info there. What you cooking on? What kind of charcoal? Once you are up to temp it should t matter. I definitely don't taste it with lump in my egg.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southstar Jeff View Post
Leaving out a lot of info there. What you cooking on? What kind of charcoal? Once you are up to temp it should t matter. I definitely don't taste it with lump in my egg.
no prob mate. let me list the info for you. 100% lump charcoal, or rancher briqs. UDS or kettle. Pre heat cooker for 1 hour. temps are constant at 250-275. normal fluxuations. i didnt use any wood chunks so i could taste the food with no smoke. Using minion method with lump vs re-stocking, i can taste a difference. oh and i have a drip pan in both so none of the fat drips on the fire. lol.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
thompson238
Got Wood.

I have used it on my performer and wsm and have tasted no weird flavors . I only use the kigsford comp as fuel in conjunction with my iq110 when using this method and i have found this combination gives me the longest burn with no ill effects. I have tried it with a few brands of lump but didnt get the length of burn that the kingsford comp combination gives me but no weird taste. I did have some fuel get damp once and i could taste a little bitterness in my food.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only time It tastes weird is using the farking KBB and I haven't used that in 15 yrs.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
thompson238
Got Wood.

You stated your using a drip pan, is it empty or do you have water or any thing in it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
I love it but will wait about an hour before the meat goes on- by then the igniter smoke seems to be over with.
I'm with vision, minion rocks..... Even if I don't wait as long, I can't taste a difference outside my spices and wood smoke. If there is a taste in there then it's adding to the good flavor (blue bag).

I'd recommend stop worry so much about the very minor details that cause sp much discussion........get to smoking, enjoy every minute of it, enjoy life and formulate your own opinions based on your experiences, that's 1/2 the fun of cooking....

Oh, and post some pics and details of your cooks.... I love seeing what peeps have going on....

Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I use it with lump and I've used it with briqs. Works fine for me and I love the flavors from the drippings steaming back up.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
The only time It tastes weird is using the farking KBB and I haven't used that in 15 yrs.
I'm right there with ya brother. Can't stand Kingsford of any kind. When I do use briquettes I use the Walmart brand (RO). I don't get any off flavors from using it in the minion method.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

No off flavors of any kind for me.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What lump are you using? I have notice a different in RO red bag from Walmart and the green bag I get from Menard's. I don't like the red bag, it does seem to have a different flavor. I use the Minion Method all the time. I don't have time to light charcoal every hour.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Never had a problem with the minion 👍

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

A properly constructed and vented Minion burn of good lump, such as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, produces excellent sweet blue smoke. I rarely use any other method.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote