Duke City Barbacoa Shenanigans - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Sunday Phunday, y'all!

It is absolutely beautiful here in the 505 - watched the hot air balloons rise over the Sandias around dawn. Temps are still ridiculous in the sun, but we'll soon be sub-90 F in the day and sub-60 F at night. Can't wait.

I've failen for a local barbacoa place - Barbacoa El Primo - Google Maps link - Great photos and the like. Some of you may remember that I've made barbacoa before and that I swear by SteveKing's Barbacoa Recipe.

- El Primo's Barbacoa is different - very soft but still with a little texture in the meat, and with no spicy notes to be found - just lovely fatty, umami lusciousness that's cut by the veg, lime juice, and house-made salsas in a taco.

Today, I'm on the prowl for that flavor and texture. Wish me luck.

I started with a small chuckie and some of John's Q-Salt.

Ygo3rKBl.jpg

That went on the kettle to smoke until 150-160F over mesquite (El Diablo charcoal).

trtnzehl.jpg

Using SteveKing's recipe, but omitting anything with "heat" or "spice" (concentrating on depth of flavor), I built the braising liquid in the Instant Pot.
- Better Than Bouillon (Beef), half of a huge elephant garlic clove, cut into about 8 chunks, cumin, Mexican oregano, ground cloves, bay leaves, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar.

I broke down the chuckie into smaller chunks, added it to the pot, and gave it a quick stir/mix.

DoVNINql.jpg

I'm going to run this a little long, intentionally, on high pressure (for our high altitude here in the Duke City), for 45 minutes with a natural release.

cKHUCeWl.jpg

Cross your fingers. We'll see how this plays out.

Kind regards and thin blue.

I'm gonna have to try this place out when I get the chance. I still remember going to the Winchell's Donuts that used to be right across the street from that lot.

Looking forward to the end result, but even more I'm looking forward to trying something like this myself. I have to expand my horizons.

I know it's going to be good Marc! Sure looks like it already. Weather has calmed down here for a couple of days and we're loving it also.

I think you are on the right track with this approach, Marc. Too many ingredients and/or a prominent chile flavor and it starts to overwhelm the natural beefy goodness.

I think you are on the right track with this approach, Marc. Too many ingredients and/or a prominent chile flavor and it starts to overwhelm the natural beefy goodness.

Thanks, Moose. Trying to keep this simple.

1Xo8Gv8l.jpg

Second time around, it all nearly fell apart with a gentle nudge of a fork. Quick pull with 2 x salad forks. CINCHOUSE and Munchkin both happy - barbacoa back into the juice to sit until dinner time.

This has more smoke flavor than the commercial stuff, and it will pick up much more flavor while sitting in the braising liquid in comparison to El Primo. Good texture - soft, but with substance.

Wanted some sort of side, and I found some Charro Beans from La Costeña, "seasoned with bacon, chicharron, and chorizo" (threaten me with a good time!).

More as dinner time approaches. Enjoy your Sunday afternoon, folks.

Sorry for the delay - got distracted:
- Puck Drop for the PHI vs NYI Stanley Cup Playoff Match

Oh, yes. Dinner was excellent.

z8QQjE9l.jpg

The munchkin added beans to her taco and wanted to take a photo.

ishnBSxl.jpg

Off to watch live sports, surf the 'Net, and relax before heading back to work (all at the same time).

Thanks for stopping in for a few.

Y'all kick some tail this week.

Looks and sounds delicious Shadow!
I bet those balloons at dawn were a beautiful site! :-D

I bet those balloons at dawn were a beautiful site!

Thank you, Jeanie.

They truly were. On Saturday morning, I also gave into my inner child and drove to Rebel Donut - FB Page Link - for a family breakfast treat. I watched no less than 6 balloons launch from the ground along the drive. Watched them fly over the house on the way home. It was glorious.

That barbacoa came out looking fantastic. Hell, if I can't get up to El Primo soon, I may just pull a chuck or some short ribs out of the freezer and give your recipe a go here at home.

Back