Pellet comparison: Yoder YS1500 vs. Pitts and Spits Maverick 1250 stainless

southerngator

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've searched for this on the forum, but mainly find comparisons between the Maverick 1250 and the ys640. I already know that I'm really wanting the ys1500 over the ys640 in a buy once cry once mentality, mainly because I could use the capacity a couple times a year and I love the looks of the 1500 on a comp cart and the 1250. I thought that I was dead set on the eventual purchase of a Yoder based on my research, but then I was turned onto Pitts and Spits.

It seems that ys1500 owners have more good things to say over the ys640 as a general assumption... More even heat, better baffle system based on their stick burner models, and they just look pretty awesome. No one seems to have complaints when stepping up to this model.

The Maverick 1250 is heavier gauge metal, racks that pull out, consistent temps with the PID controller, and I really like the appeal of the full stainless construction as I live in South Florida near the coast. (Although, I could be convinced to order the standard model to save the $$$)

I've looked at rec-tec, Memphis, MAK, Trager, GMG, etc. But, I don't particularly care for the way they look... Weird I know, but I just don't get excited looking at a MAK 1 or 2 star...I know they all will cook great, and I'm not putting them down, but they remind me of the cheap grills sitting outside home Depot when I look at the visual design.

I've turned out great food for years on my little Masterbuilt special from bass pro (close to 300lb last year). But, I want to step up my capacity instead of doing 3-4 cooks in a weekend. I was hoping that you guys could chime in and start a discussion that might help myself and others looking at these two models.

Intended use will be primarily smoking... One of the Weber's (22" kettle or propane when I'm lazy) is my go to for searing/grilling, and I picked up a Kamado Joe Big Joe II for Christmas that I'll be firing up as soon as I get around to building a table for it. One day I'll also add a Shirley 24x36 patio model for a stick burner. But for now, I'm looking at the convenience of a pellet smoker to make my cooks easier in the set and forget kinda way.

Thanks in advance!

I'm an anti-Yoder guy since I had such a poor experience with their product (Cheyenne offset) and their customer service. I've talked to a lot of people who have had a YS-1500 and everybody says that there can be a pretty rough heat distribution in there once you put some meat on the cooker. I've never used one myself, but that seems to be the consensus on feedback from a few (not a ton) people I've talked to in person about the 1500. Others are upset with the paint flaking off after just a few uses which can hurt the longevity of the cooker.

I know nothing about the Pitts and Spits pellet cooker though, so I can't say either way. Have you had food from a pellet smoker before? Personally I don't think pellets offer enough smoke flavor and for the most part I can't tell the difference between pellet "smoked" meat and meat that is baked in an oven. I tried moving to pellets after years of a stick burner and it was a mistake. I got a Rec Tec and outside of the technical problems with that particular cooker, the smoke flavor on the meat was pretty much zero. The rub didn't bark up very well and I just didn't feel like the food was very good. I'm only bringing this up to give you things to think about before you throw your money into a pellet smoker.

When it comes to "Set it and forget it" I'm very pleased with my insulated cabinet smoker. I do use a fan system because I live near the beach and it's always windy, so the fan system just keeps things under control without me having to constantly worry about runaway temps. My cabinet smoker provides great smoker flavor, a huge capacity (36 pork butts or 20 briskets), and I can do a full 12 hour cook at 250° with a 20Lb bag of charcoal which costs about $12. Compare this to the Rec Tec where I was burning through about 30+ Lbs of pellets costing me roughly $1/Lb, and the cabinet smoker is a no brainer.

So just my 2 cents and good luck with whatever you choose.

I have a Yoder 1500 and could not recommend it to anybody. For a pellet smoker it cooks fine. The construction and looks are great. The rust is a very real problem. My sits under my porch never exposed to the elements. It began rusting almost immediately, initially I would try to keep up with the removal and repainting it. This got to be too much and difficult to do as mine was rusting not only on flat easy to get to areas but every nook and cranny and not just in areas exposed to heat but every where. I eventually said F it, its a battle that can not be won. It's never been in the rain and I live in south Texas on the edge of a desert. By far my biggest BBQ regret. My advice is to look else where unless they radically have changed their paint process in the last 4 years.

Thank you both. I've been worried about the rust issue. And I've not had personal experience with pellet smokers. A friend or two have tragers and love them, but my money wants to start with a little higher build quality. It's a big jump, but I love to bbq and I'd rather spend the extra dough now and have what I really want instead of spending good money and wanting or needing to upgrade in a year.

I will admit that I'm also intrigued by insulated cabinet smokers and gravity fed smokers. More initial set up I'd imagine, but then just let it run. I like to get good smoke flavor. Gotta start looking into those now too!

I had a yoder 640 and the rust is/was a real issue for me as well. I liked how it cooked as it was incredibly versatile. I would recommend you try and taste some food off a pellet cooker or at least be honest with yourself on what kind of flavor profile you like...I’ve had three pellet coolers (yoder, Memphis and gmg) and all of them are a lighter smoke profile than other cookers. It’s not a bad thing, just be aware. I haven’t tasted food off a Mak so I can’t comment on those (but most everyone says lack of smoke flavor is NOT an issue with them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Look at a Cookshack FEC-100 if you want large capacity with the convenience of pellets. It's an insulated cabinet smoker that uses less than 1 pound of pellets per hour and can hold 100 lbs. plus of meat. I hear tales of Yoder 1500's going through 40 pounds of pellets in a single cook as it takes a lot to get that big hunk of metal up to temp. Check out Facebook Marketplace, they usually have a few used FEC-100's running in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.

If you want an Insulated Charcoal Smoker, look for a Lone Star Grillz Large IVS. I own both of these smokers and like them equally for different reasons.

I am going to chime in on the Yoder but not the 1500 as I have a YS640 converted to the 640s.

Everyone and I mean everyone I have ever talked to about Yoder and the paint says something about the paint adherence or rust. Except me. I know, hard to hear but Ive had my YS640 since December 2018 and have no rust on it at all. I clean after every cook, dont dribble down the front of it and wipe it down with lemon pledge (yep its a thing) whenever I think about it, am cleaning it, or wanna show some love to my Yoder.

I did have it under a deck with a raintight ceiling and a cover over the 640 but with all the rust talk, I moved it into the garage where it has been for 9 months. Again still no rust but i do watch for it and I know if I had the same experience as others Ive talked to, I would be jittery about spending this much coin on something that imo just cant hold up to use.

Good luck on your choice and please keep us informed on which way you go and why.

It'll be a while before I pull the trigger on any option, so don't hold your breath if you don't get an update from me soon. I enjoy the research into the purchase, and most of the time that means that I end up satisfied with whatever decision.

I think I'm going to spend some time looking into insulated cabinets now because it'll be most similar to my little smoker I'm currently using... and I know I like my results on it.

Everyone's replies have been useful, and honestly, it's turning me off of a yoder to some degree... maybe even a pellet smoker all together. Guess I gotta find one I can do some test cooks on and go from there.

Back in March of 2019 I had the opportunity to cook on a Pitts and Spits all day for a demo cook for SuckleBusters. I have to say I was truly impressed! I cook on a lot of different cookers/grills/smokers when we do demonstration cooks as they are provided by the retailer. It cooked great, the two cooking racks are heavy duty and slide out, I like the S/S shelf and the way the top opens up. The temp control was flawless.
If and when I'm in the market for a PG the P&S will be on my list.
Good luck in your quest for a PG. There are a lot of options.

That said, I do love cooking on my Shirley!! :mrgreen:

I’ve researched a lot lately after selling my Lang 84. I considered the Yoder 1500 and the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000. I ended up going with the Pitts and Spitts 2000. Ordered it today.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 YS 640 and my smoker looks almost brand new still. I’ve had less than 2 areas where the paint has been chipped by me and the touch up is still going strong.

I do clean mine every couple of uses with citriclean and it is garaged in winter but it spends all summer outside with the cover on.

nEvHfwql.jpg

Back