A use for pork skins? (post-cooking)

B

bwebb0017

We've read a lot about cooking pork skins, and would like to try it. There's even a recipe for it in Myron Mixon's book. However, most of what we've read instructs you to use uncooked skins, cut them into squares, and bake them over a cooling rack or smoke them. What we'd like to be able to do is cook a whole pork shoulder, skin & all, then peel the skin off and re-smoke it from there. A few tests have so far been unsuccessful. The skins turn out either burned and crunchy, or tough and chewy. Anybody have a method to produce crunchy but not burned skins from a shoulder that's already been fully cooked?

I've done it MANY times.Whole shoulder is one of my favorite cooks.I cook the shoulder,remove the skin and remove most,but not all the fat,reseason with rub of choice,inside only.Throw it back on the grill,lo-n-slo til it gets to that crispy golden stage that I like it.It will be crunchy and brittle.Good eats.If you are lookin for the texture you find in store bought pork rinds(Fluffy and light,this ain't it).The ones I do are more like cracklins.Good Luck.

Yum, now that sounds like some artery clogging goodness! I will have to try that for sure...

We'll give it another try. I think what's different between what you're describing and what we've been doing is the fat scrape and the cook temp. We haven't been scraping much fat off, just tried throwing them back on the smoker assuming the fat would melt off on it's own. Also we've been cooking them on the hottest part of our smoker (basically a direct-heat cook) thinking that's what it would take to crisp them up. I'll give it a try on a cooler spot after scraping the fat next time.

I'm sure it varies a lot, but would you have a general idea of how long it takes?

Thanks for the tips!

Back