First Catering Job

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Had some friends whose daughter was married yesterday they asked me if I would prepare some food for them. The idea was just "walking around" type of food.

It was a blast and I made a few dollars. Wasn't much, but it gave me a taste and now I'm hooked. Health Department and City are up on the list to visit this week.

Fixed some ABTs, Fatties, Pig Candy and Grilled Teriyaki Chicken.

mitchell-wedding1.jpg

Here's the bite sized bits of Teriyaki Chicken with grilled pineapple.

mitchell-wedding2.jpg

ABTs and fatties. We cut the ABTs in half with instructions to the people serving they needed to place them in the pans. Instead they dumped them in and some got to be a little messy.

The ABTs were a hit. Soaked the Japs in Sprint so they had very little heat. Worked out great. Didn't charge enough for the ABTs though. 200 hundred of them took a long time to prepare.

mitchell-wedding3.jpg

Pig Candy. Bite sized pieces again but people were eating them like...candy. Brown sugar with just a hint of Chipotle powder for a little back of the throat tingle.

mitchell-wedding4.jpg

Sauces with the ABTs and Fatties. Ranch, Chipotle Ranch, Blackberry Chipotle and the grooms favorite: Bulls Eye. (Yeah, I know)

mitchell-wedding6.jpg

What's great is I have one confirmed gig from this and four possibles. My dear wife spent the day cooking with me and is hooked to. Looks like I may have a new part time job.

She also commented that "maybe you'll need a bigger smoker if this all works out." YEAH BABY!

Wow, congrats on your first job and especially on the support of your wife.

The future is bright , eh ?

Cheers !

DM

Look like you done a wonderful job . It all look great. Would you please tell me more about taking heat out of the jap never hear of it.

Larry - out of curiosity, what did you or how much should you have charged for the ABTs? PS - nice lookin' eats:-D.

Congrats man!!!! Looks great:biggrin:

Larry - out of curiosity, what did you or how much should you have charged for the ABTs? PS - nice lookin' eats:-D.

I took the cost of all the food and supplies and doubled it. $349.00 was what I charged for 22lbs of chicken, 200 abts, 6 pounds of fatty and 5lbs of pig candy.

I miscalculated a few things but my "profit" was about a $135.00 instead of $175.00.

Next time on the ABTs I'm going go 2.5 times or 3 times. They are just a lot more labor intensive than I though they would be.

I learned a lot from this one so I figure paying a small "dumb tax" isn't all that bad.

Look like you done a wonderful job . It all look great. Would you please tell me more about taking heat out of the jap never hear of it.

Remove the veins and seeds from the jabs and then soak them for 24 hours in Sprint it will take the vast majority of the heat our of them and just leave the flavor.

I'm planning to use the sprite to spritz a couple of pork butts next weekend just to see what happens.

Very nice Larry, congratulations on your success and most of all it sounds like you had a blast!!

Nice spread Larry!
I have heard of soaking in Sprite but what is Sprint??

Looks really nice. I like the sauce caddy. Really cool.

Good job Fox looks like you bought warmers and everything. It gets worse you will buy tables, table cloths ect.. invest in a five foot grill from smart and final

good luck

Good job Fox looks like you bought warmers and everything. It gets worse you will buy tables, table cloths ect.. invest in a five foot grill from smart and final

good luck

The grill has not arrived at our Smart and Final yet. I'm watching...

Great Job! When they see good results, all wives eventually come to their senses. Spicewine maybe, from Thom Emery?

Congrats! Always good to have support from the wives as well!

Congrats Larry, everything looks great! And the support from the wife makes it even better.8)

Back