• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Final attempt at enjoying chuckies... help me to find a place in my heart for them

What don't you like about it? I myself don't like it. I have cooked it dozens of different ways and the outcome is always the same. A chunk of meat that shreds but the meat itself is still tough. I tried cubing before as well and some cubes melt in your mouth but many don't. For me it doesn't matter how i cook it the result is the same. I now always use short ribs for any recipe.

What don't you like about it? I myself don't like it. I have cooked it dozens of different ways and the outcome is always the same. A chunk of meat that shreds but the meat itself is still tough. I tried cubing before as well and some cubes melt in your mouth but many don't. For me it doesn't matter how i cook it the result is the same. I now always use short ribs for any recipe.
I actually tried it a couple of different ways as well including the pepper stout method. It's just ok and, while it's soft and tender in the pressure cooker, it comes out dry and tough every time I've tried it on the smoker. Plus the flavor is just boring and I can think of a million other things I'd rather smoke for the amount of effort. I feel like it's never gets eaten smoked whereas we'll finish it in a sitting in any of the other recipes we use chuck in.

I think this french dip thing sounds like it's got legs though. I might give that a go.

I actually tried it a couple of different ways as well including the pepper stout method. It's just ok and, while it's soft and tender in the pressure cooker, it comes out dry and tough every time I've tried it on the smoker.
Hmmm... My PSB never comes out tough & dry. Are you braising it long enough? Don't recall where I heard/read it, but to test for doneness, stick a fork in it and twist. If the fork doesn't twist like it's in spaghetti, keep cooking for another half hour and test again. I usually do about 3 hours on the smoker, then another 3.5-4.5 hours braising.

Let us know what you think of the French Dip, that sounds pretty good too.

Love my chuckies, but as with others, 90% of the time it's for my chili. I honestly think smoked/pulled beef makes the best chili.

I've had some success doing burnt ends with it too, but it takes much longer than you'd think for the size of the cut.

You can make burnt ends out of chuck roasts but the trick is extemely low temps for an extremely long time. And wrapping in BP for 3/4 of that time to keep moist.

I smoke for about 3 hrs and then put it in liquid (beer) with some onions, peppers, etc., cover, and braise until it’s fork tender. That being said, I prefer plate ribs too.

This. I have never done great chuckle that wasn’t braised at some point in the cook. Google clayQ’s pulled beef and that should get you in the right track. I do a barbacoa style chuckie that is pretty darn good but the magic with that is the braise. I took clayQ’s process and did a Mexican style braise instead of bbq style. Works like a champ.

This. I have never done great chuckle that wasn’t braised at some point in the cook. Google clayQ’s pulled beef and that should get you in the right track. I do a barbacoa style chuckie that is pretty darn good but the magic with that is the braise. I took clayQ’s process and did a Mexican style braise instead of bbq style. Works like a champ.

The Clay's Pulled Beef recipe link is a few messages back under my name. Always works great for us!

And now I'm going to have to try your Mexican style! That sounds ridiculously good!

I typically smoke chuck roasts for the purpose of using them in other recipes as the meat component and never just by themselves. For example smoked pulled beef quesadilla or a soup of some sort. I use prime brisket as the stand alone beef.

I love them. Rub with Montreal steak seasoning, Hot Shot and garlic and onion powder. Sear all sides them smoke for 3 hours. Put in beef broth with onion, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms cover and cook for a couple more hours. Slice up the meat pretty thin and put back in the beef broth with an Au Jus packet, cover and cook for another hour. Put sliced meat on a nice hoagie bun with provolone cheese and dip in Au Jus. Awesome french dip sandwiches!

Now I think I need to do one next weekend!
French dips turned out great today! Can't imagine not liking these.
53e46523aa4eb2a280e5f13c3085e859.jpg
af4b991bfb8502bcade923b2641f40fb.jpg
c63df0cfcb4ec7a4eb85e1f894d46657.jpg

Buy two choice chuckies. Season withgood salt and pepper. Place a stick of butter and some Adobo sauce in the middle. Place chuck number 2 on top and tie together. Should be about 4 pounds of meat. Smoke at 275* for 3-4 hours in shallow pan. Add about 1" of liquid and foil the pan tight.stock beer coffee just get some liquid in there. Start probing around 45--50 minutes.
Use same probe hole don't aerate it. Sometime around 180-200 you'll find the texture you're looking for. It's actually done long before this but gets more brisket like the longer it goes. Play with your time temps wrapping liquids etc etc. You'll find the sweet spot. Like flyfishing there are lots of options before changing the fly

Last edited:
Here's a recipe that's never failed us. Use whatever beef oriented rub you like. And figure 8 hours might be just a little bit optimistic.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

I have not tried that exact recipe, but plan to soon. That recipe should take care of the OP's problems. Adding caramelized onions and a good horseradish cream sauce would top off some good pulled beef sandwiches.

See Post No. 8 at this link:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267382

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I like chuckies just fine. Kinda like brisket if done right. I’m doing one tomorrow for this Saints game. On the Joe Classic until it reaches 150-160 the in a Dutch oven with beef broth, potatoes, carrots and bell peppers until probe tender. Usually takes 3-3.5 hours at 290-325, whoever it wants to run. Hickory and mesquite chunks for a smoke profile. Delicious!

https://i.imgur.com/gaPweHO.jpg

I've tried it once hung in my PBC. It came out dry. I'll try some of the other methods mentioned.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I smoke for about 3 hrs and then put it in liquid (beer) with some onions, peppers, etc., cover, and braise until it’s fork tender. That being said, I prefer plate ribs too.

I agree with this method!:becky:

Back