MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Homemeade sausage ? again

I made sausage over the weekend in my new dakotah stuffer and that thing is amazing how easy and fast you can make sausage. I only took two pics, nothing really worthy of sharing.
I cooked a couple on the grill and the casing's were chewy. I made some in crock pot and the were nice and soft. I know the meat was done on the grill not sure why it was chewy. I usually don't have that problem with the store bought ones. Any advice?

Thanks
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

What kind of casings did you use?
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Natural hog casings.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
rawtalent
On the road to being a farker

Possible you didn't stuff them tight enough. Think of a deflated balloon vs a highly inflated balloon. Also maybe due to low grill temp causing the casings to dry out.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
handsareme
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
Natural hog casings.
That's weird, whenever I make sausage, the natural casings usually offer the perfect snap/pop when eating.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Maybe I did under stuff. I had a couple blow outs so I started making then less full. I'll update with a pic but probably wont be able to tell from the pic.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
rawtalent

Hard to tell from the pics (they look good). Did they stay in shape when you grilled them or did the meat push out the ends?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
SKA BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtalent View Post
Hard to tell from the pics (they look good). Did they stay in shape when you grilled them or did the meat push out the ends?
Last time I made homemade sausaes with hog casing's I had those problems chewy casings and meat coming out the ends? Does that mean I understuffed? Sorry to hijack but I had the same problems.
SKA BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I don't recall. I'm pretty sure it did not come out the ends. I mixed venison and pork butt. Was little to lean for me. Not bad though. Can't wait to make straight pork ones.

@ SKA BBQ, no worries. We could be having similar issues. Mine were great in the crock pot.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
rawtalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKA BBQ View Post
Last time I made homemade sausaes with hog casing's I had those problems chewy casings and meat coming out the ends? Does that mean I understuffed? Sorry to hijack but I had the same problems.
once the meat is ground and seasoned it needs to be mixed with water and "kneaded" until it is firm and holds together well. While wet meat stuffs easier the salt hasn't had time to bind the meat, thus allowing the meat to push out the ends and "deflating the balloon". I like to keep the links together in the fridge overnight. Don't leave the seasoned meat 'til the next day to stuff or the binding action will make stuffing more difficult.

Slow cooking with dry heat or undercooking will also result in tough or rubbery casings.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
rawtalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
I don't recall. I'm pretty sure it did not come out the ends. I mixed venison and pork butt. Was little to lean for me. Not bad though. Can't wait to make straight pork ones.

@ SKA BBQ, no worries. We could be having similar issues. Mine were great in the crock pot.
Using pork butts or brisket point with venison I like a 70/30 mix.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did you soak the casings before stuffing?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
handsareme
Got Wood.

Quote:
once the meat is ground and seasoned it needs to be mixed with water and "kneaded" until it is firm and holds together well. While wet meat stuffs easier the salt hasn't had time to bind the meat, thus allowing the meat to push out the ends and "deflating the balloon". I like to keep the links together in the fridge overnight. Don't leave the seasoned meat 'til the next day to stuff or the binding action will make stuffing more difficult.

Slow cooking with dry heat or undercooking will also result in tough or rubbery casings.
I use beer, unless I'm making gluten-free sausage. Then I'll find some gluten-free beer.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Did you soak the casings before stuffing?
I soaked in warm water for a half hour.