Hot Nuts

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
One thing I love about this place is the variety of recipes and methods there are here. I saw this thread about Neil's nuts last year and figured I should try 'em. I'm not one to rush into anything, so I figured that, after about 14 months, I should give it a go.

I modded a little since I didn't have the Dale's sauce - I just subbed with 50/50 woosty and soy sauce. I also added All Spice Cafe Cayenne and Habenero sauce, subbed the hot vinegar for Shack Attack, added a little Ghost Pepper rub (again All Spice Cafe) as well as some stuff called Vulcan Fire Salt. Oh yeah, a little Habenero Death Dust as well. I know this sounds like it's going to a crazy hot place, but it really isn't - it's definitely hot (at least I'm guessing it is, I'm a very bad judge of what other folks think is hot), but there's flavor to back it up, so it's not about just ripping your face off. I like a good kick as a part of a flavor profile, not as the whole point of it.

photo-801.jpg

On the UDS at around 300, probably a little hotter than that actually.

photo-1483.jpg

photo-2054.jpg

I'm guessing I went less than a couple hours - as usual, not paying very close attention :twitch:

I might cook them at a little lower next time to get more time in the smoke and there are the beginnings of a little bit of a scorch-ey taste to 'em. Still, these things are pretty dang good. They will be even better tomorrow.

photo-1503.jpg

Wow, those look and sound awesome...

My wife makes candied nuts (insert Beavis and Butthead snickers) using nuts, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

I would love to try Hot candied nuts!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Wow, those look and sound awesome...

My wife makes candied nuts (insert Beavis and Butthead snickers) using nuts, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

I would love to try Hot candied nuts!

I was just thinking that it might be cool to put a little something sweet in there. :thumb:

I miss Beavis and Butthead.

picture.php

Do these nuts have another name other then Niels nuts? :confused:

What type of nuts are they?:laugh:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks great!

What kind of racks are you using to smoke the nuts?

I'm not sure exactly what they're called, they're just some kind of mesh rack/pan thingees. They can be under different names like "grill toppers" or "grill baskets" or something like that - they are fantastic and really good for grilling veggies, smoking MOINKs (that way you can just grab the whole tray and close the cooker rather than standing there pulling 'em off one by one). I love these things.

Do these nuts have another name other then Niels nuts? :confused:

What type of nuts are they?:laugh:

I guess the nuts are named after whoever has them! :noidea:

They are almonds btw. They are getting better tasting with each passing hour. :hungry: These would be great at the next bash. :whoo:

Good lookin nuts there g!

Thanks 'tang! And I gotta admit I've been admiring your meat for quite some time now.

Those look good, but after eating them I would need TP for my bunghole!!

Thru in some Beavis and Butthead there.

They are not nearly as hot as you would think. I didn't go very heavy with the hot stuff. I confirmed by having a few other folks try them and they say there's a kick, but I think even people who generally don't eat spicy stuff might be OK with these. Maybe. :twisted:

I still remember the first time I saw the first "Cornholio" episode - I just about died! :pound:

Almonds

Great job on your cook/roast!! The blistering you see on your finished product is the seasoning that blistered from the heat. This is common when the almonds that are seasoned get to hot with no moisture to them with a tad to much seasoning in one area. Will not hurt anything on the taste

You will know when almonds are cooked just right when you bite or cut one in half and the outside ring of the meat is just a light tan color. Almonds like 265-270 heat range when seasoning

Todd

Back