Ribs-Mop or No Mop

C

CaptFrank

My experience with Ribs has been on my horizontal pit with the Ribs flat on the grill and Moped every hour. With my new Bandara is it better to place the Ribs flat and Mop or Vert. and do not Mop?

I always lay them flat.

I bought 6 extra shelves so space is never an issue. 2 racks of bb's per shelf.

Flat and mop definitely. Vert without mop gets freaking DRY!!!

I just did some spares over the weekend that I put in a vertical rib rack. Sprayed with the AJ-Bourbon mix every hour. Did the 3-2-1 with the last 1 being back in the smoke to crisp up the bark. They weren't dry at all - very tender.

I no longer mop, I just spray with a fruit juice (apple, cherry) and burbon.

I only mop to add layers of flavor, I have not found mopping or spraying a help
when come to moisture of finished product. The moisture of finished meat I find it has more to do with finish temp, not allowing over cooking.
The 3-2-1 method will produce moist ribs but you can over cook and have a mushy texture.
Jim

Last time out I sprayed with Apple juice and Orange Liqueur (Grand marnier knockoff called Sublime). Came out great. Can't wait to try it again!

i did 15 racks this past weekend in rib racks and they came out great not dry at all. Sprayed with black cherry soda and aj

the spray is helping though. I've always ended up dry without a mop or spray either way. I just think flat works better IMHO

willkat98 said:
I always lay them flat.

Bill,
Doesn't that create heat eveness problems? Do you rotate them?

BigdogSmoker said:
willkat98 said:
I always lay them flat.

Bill,
Doesn't that create heat eveness problems? Do you rotate them?

Not really. I will criss cross them sometimes, and I will break them up by throwin a turkey boob or something to leave a gap between them.

Most racks at once was 8 I think (4 shelves) couple pork loins and a tray of thighs.

I might have moved them around a little, but no "system" of rotating them.

Just wrap when they pulled away, some took slightly longer, but I had plenty of Jack Daniels on hand so I wasn't worried

I had to rotate from bottom to top and inside to out to get an even cook. Because i do so many at once i switched to rib racks

I also have to rotate, but I think that has to do with my cheap baffel in the Bandera. It works though I just rotate half way through the cook.

Back